Suggestions for GF Ginger Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonyolympia

Reaction score
I'm a new brewer who wants to make a GF ginger beer for my wife, and I'd appreciate recipe suggestions.

What I'm after is a refreshing, pale- to amber-colored ale with mild hop bitterness and a touch of sweetness, nothing cloying. What grain bill, hops and yeast would you knowledgeable people recommend? Bear in mind that my wife isn't celiac, just a little gluten intolerant.

Since this would be my first experience with malting and mashing, it would be nice if I could make this a partial mash beer. In that case, what sort of extract would suit my plan? And what quantity?

Any help would be very welcome. Thanks.

I have never done GF, but am in oly. I've heard of some stuff in the gluten free area. I dont know much about it though. Just saw you are in Oly and wanted to say Hi.

Basing my recipe off of: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/ginger-ale-3rd-place-2009-hbt-bjcp-comp-141080/

4lb Sorghum Extract Syrup
1lb Amber Candi Syrup (to fermenter or at flame out)
3lb Honey (to fermenter or at flame out)
20IBU American Hop @ 60min
Juice of 1 Lemons @ 30min
6oz Ginger Root @ 30
2oz Ginger Root @ 10
1 lemon zest @ 10
1oz Willamette @ 0
2oz Ginger Root @ Dry Hop

Safale S-05

Hello, djsethall!

Thanks *very* much for the suggestions, dkershner! I'll take that list to my LHBS and see if they can help me. Not sure if they carry GF extracts, but it's worth a try. I'm going to do an extract stout for myself next, but I'll after that I'll get to work on my wife's ginger beer, and let you know how it turns out.

Back