Black water in Aluminum pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrosBrew

Reaction score
I just got my new aluminum stock pot and first put it in the oven for 30 min at 400. Then decided to boil water in it. The water is black and there is a black layer on the pot.... what the hell? Is this a good thing?

I just got my new aluminum stock pot and first put it in the oven for 30 min at 400. Then decided to boil water in it. The water is black and there is a black layer on the pot.... what the hell? Is this a good thing?

I don't know, I used the alternative method. Boiled water in it first for one hour, dumped it out, then used it. I didn't want the outside changing color! :ban:

But in any case hopefully someone can help you out, no idea why the water has a film on top of it and is discolored, I didn't really notice it being that much off from the boiling method.

This black stuff could be burnt oil from the machining process. Given Taipas did the inverse of your method, the oil would have been gone when he put it in the oven. When you baked it at 400 it would have overcooked the oil residue.

Just a thought.

Well, when I dumped the water out, the water had some floaties in it but it was clear. It just appeared black because of the black layer that formed on the pot. I did notice an oily film on the surface of the water. Do you think the pot is ruined? Should I return it for my money back?

I don't know where anyone heard that you had to "do anything" to a new pot. I've been cooking all my life, and all I've ever done with any new pot/pan is give it a thorough cleaning with soap and water, then use; aluminum, stainless or otherwise.

Unless it was cast iron then it has to be seasoned, but that's a different story....

Just give it a good thorough washing and rinsing....You'll be fine.

Well, when I dumped the water out, the water had some floaties in it but it was clear. It just appeared black because of the black layer that formed on the pot. I did notice an oily film on the surface of the water. Do you think the pot is ruined? Should I return it for my money back?

It's fine, that dark coating is aluminum oxide. You need it, that oxide coating will help keep your acidic wort from dissolving aluminum into your brew.

I'd just give it a good thorough washing with dish soap and a soft brush or sponge, and rinse it thoroughly. Then it will be good to go. If you want to clean up the outside, Barkeeper's Friend liquid cleanser and a scotch-brite scrubby will do the job.

Phew, I thought it could be the Al2O3 coating but I thought it was clear not black. Alright, well, I can finally walk again on thursday, (had surgery on the knee) and when dealing with a 170 degree wort I want to be able to handle it with both hands, so that will be the debut of my beer brewing addiction. Thursday cannot come fast enough!!!

I don't know where anyone heard that you had to "do anything" to a new pot. I've been cooking all my life, and all I've ever done with any new pot/pan is give it a thorough cleaning with soap and water, then use; aluminum, stainless or otherwise.

Unless it was cast iron then it has to be seasoned, but that's a different story....

Just give it a good thorough washing and rinsing....You'll be fine.

This thread has a bunch of debate on the topic and many have suggested "seasoning" the aluminum pot. Thats where I got it from anyways. I have also seen it elseware, If its wrong fill me in. I would rather not waste the time doing it if everyone is just going overboard.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49449&page=4

This thread has a bunch of debate on the topic and many have suggested "seasoning" the aluminum pot. Thats where I got it from anyways.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=49449&page=4

I betcha most of the people weighing in on the debate never actually COOKED anything before...Just like a lot of the are my hops ruined threads never actually GARDENED before...

Like I said, I've cooked since I was 10...NEVER have I heard anything about doing anything to new pans except clean them, or season them if they are cast iron....

meh
!

I betcha most of the people weighing in on the debate never actually COOKED anything before...
I'm one of those people and I definitely cook a lot. I always condition my new aluminum cookware to build up that oxide layer. I've purchased pans that recommend it as well so if a manufacturer recommends I'd say there's reason enough to do it.

Revvy, I've used aluminum cookware before and there weren't any instructions to season them either. When I bought my first turkey fryer it had instructions to fill the pot with water and to set it to boil before using it the first time, so that's what I did.

I did so just to be safe since the debate is ongoing. I boiled water for about an hour, I got to test out how fast my new burner would get up to boil anyhow.

Back