odd taste in two kegs, i think i over carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liebertron

Reaction score
I have two kegs that I carbed at the same time but believe I over carbed the beer. The beer certainly looks over carbed when I pour it, but it also has a metallic taste to it, and isnt that good. Both kegs have the same flavor and did not have the flavor before kegging, they tasted just fine then. Could over carb make this taste? Going to degas the beer, but would like some feedback.

Could be the carbonic acid bite, which many people describe as a metallic taste. More carbonic acid is created when the beer is burst carbed and/or overcarbed. It should fade over time.

Could be the carbonic acid bite, which many people describe as a metallic taste. More carbonic acid is created when the beer is burst carbed and/or overcarbed. It should fade over time.

Do you know how much time? And should I be degassing the beer as I go?

How long has it been kegged? If only a week or so, that is probably it. i would try degassing a bit and then just waiting. Also, how long since you brewed it? It could be a bit green too, combined with overcarbonation. I get a distinct bite from my kegged beers when they are young and just carbonating up.

Lastly, was this the first pint or two? If so, the last bit of the yeast or hops that have fallen out could be giving it an odd taste. I bet it tastes better in a couple of days.

I have two kegs that I carbed at the same time but believe I over carbed the beer. The beer certainly looks over carbed when I pour it, but it also has a metallic taste to it, and isnt that good. Both kegs have the same flavor and did not have the flavor before kegging, they tasted just fine then. Could over carb make this taste? Going to degas the beer, but would like some feedback.

Most likely so - "Metallic Taste" is a symptom of over-carbonated beer.

How long has it been kegged? If only a week or so, that is probably it. i would try degassing a bit and then just waiting. Also, how long since you brewed it? It could be a bit green too, combined with overcarbonation. I get a distinct bite from my kegged beers when they are young and just carbonating up.

Lastly, was this the first pint or two? If so, the last bit of the yeast or hops that have fallen out could be giving it an odd taste. I bet it tastes better in a couple of days.

Spent 1 week in primary, 3 weeks in secondary and 1 week cold crashing in the kegerator. Was the first couple of glasses, I do think its the carb bite people have discussed.

Back