Brewing is fun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew2

Reaction score
I like the whole making a batch, waiting for the fermating to complete, and bottling was fun. But wait for the beer to condtion in the bottles sucks I have week down one more to go. Before I can taste my beer

This is totally a beginner problem, isn't it?

Hubby and I have brewed two batches so far and we're still waiting for the first ones to finish bottle conditioning. Since aren't going to get set up for kegging anytime in the near future (no room in our apartment), we're just going to have to make sure to schedule at least one brew day a month to make sure we never have to wait this long for a homebrew again! :D

This is totally a beginner problem, isn't it?

Hubby and I have brewed two batches so far and we're still waiting for the first ones to finish bottle conditioning. Since aren't going to get set up for kegging anytime in the near future (no room in our apartment), we're just going to have to make sure to schedule at least one brew day a month to make sure we never have to wait this long for a homebrew again! :D

pipeline definitely makes it a little easier, but I still get anxious to try one from a batch that's not finished conditioning yet

Like my Maibock. 3 weeks is up tomorrow, but I'm still gonna pop one or two in the fridge and try them tonight

Oh I made an awesome excuse to drink one weekly. As a beginner I considered it scientific research to educate myself with how beer developed over time in the bottle.

But keep in mind what you have now is NOT what the beer will be even 2 weeks from now. It really is amazing the changes it goes through.

It was flat but taste pretty good. Can't wait till its done conditioning.

Damn right brewing is fun!!

image-3662973233.jpg

I just bottled my imperial blonde on Monday......

Wait till you brew a bigger beer and have to wait a month or more for it to condition, ITS TORTURE!!!

Of course I will drink one next week and the week after.
It really is nice to see how a beer develops over time.

Alright - you convinced me. I am in the exact same position. My very first batch has been bottle conditioning for almost one week. I have two more batches in primaries following close behind, but something in your post here says I need to add some 'research' to my process as JRapp suggested.

I just bottled my imperial blonde on Monday......

Wait till you brew a bigger beer and have to wait a month or more for it to condition, ITS TORTURE!!!

Of course I will drink one next week and the week after.
It really is nice to see how a beer develops over time.

I'm looking for a good blonde is urs a kit?

GrogNerd said:
I can't even wait that long. I pour my hydrometer sample into a glass and drink that.

if it tastes good warm and flat, it's gotta be good cold & fizzed

That's what I'm saying! I do the same thing! To feed my ADHD I wait 5 days, wrap a bottle in a wet paper towel, and stick it in the freezer for 15 min. So far the 5 day mark gives me enough info to know it carbed up And the paper towel trick makes it cold!

Oh I made an awesome excuse to drink one weekly. As a beginner I considered it scientific research to educate myself with how beer developed over time in the bottle.

But keep in mind what you have now is NOT what the beer will be even 2 weeks from now. It really is amazing the changes it goes through.

This.

It is our scientific duty to investigate the progression of the taste of the beer! :tank:

I bottled a 5.6% IPA on Sunday. Then on Wednesday, I grabbed what I thought was one of my other beers. Because of a screwed up filing system, I ended up cooling and opening one of my new beers. It was surprisingly carbonated after about 72 hours. Awesome beer, awesome surprise, good times. :)

I'm looking for a good blonde is urs a kit?

No, its an all-grain clone from an amazing brewery up here in Alaska.

Glacier Brew House, Imperial Blonde.
Its a great beer, dangerously drinkable at 9%abv.

Got the recipe from BYO magazine.

My Dad and I are newbies as well. We have "sampled" every step of the way! Bottled his first batch today. It only made 46 12 oz. bottles. As Dad was complaining about having "the runs" today, I said something like "too much sampling?" o_O

That's what I'm saying! I do the same thing! To feed my ADHD I wait 5 days, wrap a bottle in a wet paper towel, and stick it in the freezer for 15 min. So far the 5 day mark gives me enough info to know it carbed up And the paper towel trick makes it cold!

Does the wet paper towel get it cold faster? I've never heard of that.

I'm guessing since the paper towel is think and wet,it freezes quick, making the beer colder faster. All I know is that it makes a warm beverage cold in 15 to 20 min.

I'm sure someone who has a good grasp of the three laws of thermodynamics can give a better explanation .

Does the wet paper towel get it cold faster? I've never heard of that.

Because some of the water evaporates, it cools down a lot quicker. The water (or any evaporating fluid for that matter) will pull heat through conduction from anything it's touching (the bottle), to help it get free (vaporize).
Drop some room temp water on the back of your hand, you will feel it turn cool very quickly. You may also have noticed it when you take a thermometer out of room temp fluid. Once removed, the small amount of fluid on the thermometer/probe starts to evaporate and the temp reading will drop below the ambient temp. That's evaporation at work.
(At least that my understanding of it)

Back