Shallow chest freezer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alien

Reaction score
I bought a chest freezer from craigslist, it looked ancient but the price delivered was about what it would have cost me to hire a van to pick up a freebie. It is decades old and bastard ugly, but keeps cold and will fit plenty of kegs.

The only problem is - the internal height is only 21". I have sixtels with regular couplers so I need the best part of 30". I guess I am looking at a huge collar and will have to insulate to avoid losing a ton of heat. Any advice on how to put that together? I want a cheap conversion in case it packs up tomorrow or the day after.

Building and insulating a collar is one of the easiest ways to build a system. And you can make it as expensive or as cheap as you want. Check out some of the other threads (here's a good one) for some inspiration and visuals. The easiest way to do it IMO is a square-cut collar glued directly to the keezer with foam insulation on the inside.

Measure out what you need, head to Home Depot or Lowes and pick out some wood that's the right height. Depending on your budget and how much time you want to spend working on it you can pick up some decent hardwood, stain, polyurethane, fine sandpaper etc. Or just get some cheap pine, it's really up to you. Have them cut the wood for you and pick up some screws, angle brackets, and a big sheet of insulation. Remove the freezer's lid (with hinges), make sure the wood's the right size, drill holes for shanks, then screw the collar together and reinforce the inside with L-brackets. Cut the foam insulation to size and fit that on the inside of the collar. Use silicone caulk to hold the insulation to the collar and the collar to the keezer, also caulk the crap out of all the seams to make sure you have no air leaks.

Optional but highly recommended, especially with a tall collar: mount a small PC fan inside the collar to help keep the air moving, and put an Eva Dry dehumidifier in the keezer as well.

Once the collar's glued on and everything's caulked up, I'd put the lid on top, weigh it down, and give it a good 48+ hours for everything to dry. Then screw the lid hinges into the collar, and you're good to go.

Thanks! Attaching the collar to the keezer sounds fractionally more straightforward than attaching it to the lid. Does the insulation need any kind of wipe down surface? Could imagine it getting wet from condensation. This thing is going in the garage so it's allowed to remain ugly junk.

You can get the foil-backed stuff I think. I believe that's what I got, and then used some aluminum HVAC tape to cover the edges where I cut. I'm not sure if you need to or not though.

Wow metal duct tape. Excellent, I didn't know about that. The freezer is 2'x3' so I guess I am looking at 2"x10"x10' for the collar.

Back