applesauce brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshofalltrades

Reaction score
hey guys, i'm new here, but i've been brewing beer for about a year.
recently i got the idea to try making a brew from some of mom's unsweetened homemade applesauce. i thought i would start small and see what happens, so i washed the yeast from a recent batch of beer and pitched a bit into a pint of applesauce. after 36 hours it hadn't taken off yet, so i added clean boiled water to double the volume of the brew, pitched a little more yeast, and poured it into a quart mason jar with the lid screwed on just loose enough to vent.
when i brew beer, i'm at my friend's place where we have all the right equipment. at home i've got anti-alcohol parents who don't want to see it, so i'm brewing while they're out of town, which is why i'm using a mason jar with a loose lid instead of something with a proper airlock. its a delicate setup, this afternoon it had enough foam that it plugged up the ability to vent and cracked the jar, i heard it from the next room, so i had to pour into another jar and left the lid a bit looser.
anyway, its been actively fermenting for about 3 days now, and i'm looking forward to how it turns out. has anyone tried this before, and if yes, how did it turn out?

yes guys, i'm of age - 25 to be exact. its just that i live with my folks and they have their views on things.

Ok. Please don't take offense to my question. Occasionally some young ones show up here asking how to make hooch. We like to stay on the good side of the law.

Your comments about the parents combined with the first post made me wonder.

I've actually only done cider, never apple sauce. I'm not going to be much help with your problem.

yeah, after i saw your question i realized that i could have sounded like some teenage idiot - my bad for that :) no offense taken

searching the forum here i found a couple guys who added a little bit of sauce to a bigger batch of something, but nothing about a brew of just applesauce, so i thought i'd ask around and see if my idea was really so unusual.
however it turns out, i'll let you guys know, and if its good i might try a bigger batch

well guys, a couple days after the original post, i tried a little bit of my brew, even though it wasn't quite done fermenting. it smelled like hard cider, but the taste became very astringent after a second or so.
tonight i got to drinking a bit more of it, and the astringency has backed off quite a bit, and its pretty good.
i think i'll save the rest of it for a few more days and see what a little more time does to it, but so far its pretty good!
i'm a little surprised to hear that nobody else here has ever tried this

Back