flat beer after first pour

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DodginBUIs

Reaction score
Ok i did a search and didnt find an answer to my problem so far. my first pour is mostly foam (but i dump it out anyway because im having a problem with iodophor in the line so im gonna replace the line) My second pour comes out with very little head and is pretty flat. I started off trying to force carb by cranking the pressure up, doin a lil shaking. Then i went out of town so before i left, i bled the pressure and put it on 10 or so psi to let it sit for a week. Its been at that pressure for over 2 weeks but seems way undercarbed. The first pour is 4/5 foam but subsequent pours have very little carbonation, almost undetectable. What gives?

Temp (on the kegerator display) is 37deg
5ft of beer line
currently at 10psi

well you wasted your time cranking up the pressure then dropping it to 10 psi and leaving it for a week. when you dropped the pressure a bunch of CO2 came out of suspension creating a foamy beer. then the system stabilized at 2.5 volumes of CO2. which sounds about right for most beers. its possible that your beer lines are getting to warm and the beer is losing all its carbonation on the way to the glass.

I used to get a foamy first pour, but my second was good. Sounds like you just under carbed it. I fixed my foamy first pour by adding 10 ft lines. Perfect pour every time now.

you can increase line length or you can buy the mcmaster's epoxy nozzles for a buck each, and run REALLY short lines and get a perfect pour.

I got tired of snaking tap lines everywhere.

Latest posts

Back