1st run with nottingham

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ssuchem

Reaction score
so i have a batch that i made with nottingham and its been stuck at 1.010 for a week. og was about 1.065
is it done? it tastes very strong but has a great apple scent. and everytime i take a sample for sg it has bits of the yeast cake float to the top and bubbles like crazy. is it done or still going? im gonna have to back sweeten the hell out of this i think. so should i rack it over back sweeten and bottle? or let it go some more. ?

Nottingham will ferment lower than 1.010 from 1.065. What temp has it been for the past week? Do you mind if it's not completely clear?

If you are going to pasteurize it doesn't really mater what the gravity is though. That said, if there's a stuck fermentation it may not carbonate in the bottle.

Nottingham will ferment lower than 1.010 from 1.065. What temp has it been for the past week? Do you mind if it's not completely clear?

If you are going to pasteurize it doesn't really mater what the gravity is though. That said, if there's a stuck fermentation it may not carbonate in the bottle.

I don't reAlly care if clear or not. Its been about 65 in the house. 70 at the Max. It looks like its still goi ng. Maybe I should feed it some ajc to see if that kick starts it up again. I

There's plenty of sugars left in there that you shouldn't need to add juice, but it wouldn't hurt if you have headspace in your fermenter. (just keep in mind it will increase your ABV, alter your Gravity Readings and Prolong Fermentation)

I've never used it, but I've heard some people add yeast energizer to kick up a slow fermentation.

If it looks like it's still moving, I'd let it ride for a while. If it drops to 1.005 or below, you'll definitely have enough yeast cells to bottle.

I just had the exact same thing happen to me with a nottingham cider. It sat at 1.010 for a month so I bottled it with dextrose. It's been a month in the bottle now and it's got a little carbonation but tastes great. I'm hoping it carbs up a little more but not too much. If they start getting too carbed for me I'm just gonna throw them all in my beer fridge. It is crystal clear too.

Back