Just bottled three brews for my first contest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brycelarson

Reaction score
Gonna do the Minnesota State Fair - I'm super stoked.

I figured for $7 an entry I should give it a shot. Worst case I get good notes on my beers - best case I win a ribbon. Yeah, long shot, but what the heck.

fun fun

Sweet Stout, Wood Aged Beer and a Belgian Wit (BJCP 13B, 22C and 16A)

I have an oatmeal milk stout recipe I've been tuning up for a couple of years - quite tasty. It's a high FG stout - It skirts the line between a 13B and 13F. OG was 1075, FG is 1022 - so as heavy as a sweet can get and technically heavy enough to land in Imperial. If I'm feeling like it I might enter in both.

The Wood aged is the same stout but aged on Oak. Added a nice tannic edge to balance the lactose sweetness. Both are quite good bears.

Third is a super basic Belgian Wit. With the crazy hot summer my basement was at the perfect temp for the project. I just wanted to keep my fermenters busy - but it turned out fantastic. Just a bit of clovy/citrus spice. Super drinkable, slightly sweet and gorgeous white foamy head. I figured I would toss some in bottles and enter - what the heck, right?

They all sound great, good luck! I eventually want to enter a contest, but I'm so new into brewing, I'll have to nail one beer first, probably a RIS, because I know I'll continue to make them to always have on hand, and I want them good.

I'm a couple years into all grain brewing now. I think I'm on V3 of the Oatmeal Milk stout. I got it to a point that I'm really proud of it.

Back