Lagering... ramping temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fixitnate

Reaction score
Based solely on the instructions in Brewer's Best kits, I'm led to believe that lagering requires primary fermentation at something like 55 degrees F; then, after transferring to secondary, the temp should be brought down from 55 to something like 38-40 at a rate of 1-3 degrees per day.

Is this the case?

As an industrial automation engineer, I have automated a small chest freezer for fermentation purposes, complete with a 6" color touchscreen, trending graphs for 3 temperatures (chamber, brew, external), and even a couple of kitchen timers since this sits in the corner of my kitchen. I can specify "Go to temperature now", "Go to temperature, get there in X hours/days", or "Go to temperature at X degrees per X hours/days". I also added an automated outlet where I can plug a modified (lower power) $10 space heater in to bring the temperature up for aleing at 75-ish degrees when it's winter and I keep my house cooler than that.

Been in service since early 2012, works great. Just wondering if lagering really requires that level of control or if anyone knows the ramifications of leaving out the ramping and going straight to those target temperatures?

Depending on the yeast strain, probably want to get closer to 50 and ramp up to 65 or so for a diacetyl rest and the down to lagering temps (lower the better).

I usually put it at the coldest temperature I can find to lager (garage) and I cant program that. I'd have it set for 35 from the start.

I have an Octoberfets Lager going from Northern Brewer and they say after primary to bring the temperature down 2 degrees per day until 38 degrees then let it set for 2 additional months, so what your saying sounds completely normal to me.

Back