Funny things you've overheard about beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At a hotel bar in Florida, their menu said 6.50 import draft, 3.00 domestic drafts. I got my check and asked why i was charged 6.50 for Yuengling,
the girl said: "oh, well it's 6.50 for German beers"
Me:"there's a yuengling brewery 2 hours from here"
Girl:"really? Well i think it's originally from Germany. Besides, it's too dark to be American"

Come on....she's got a point :drunk:

At a hotel bar in Florida, their menu said 6.50 import draft, 3.00 domestic drafts. I got my check and asked why i was charged 6.50 for Yuengling,
the girl said: "oh, well it's 6.50 for German beers"
Me:"there's a yuengling brewery 2 hours from here"
Girl:"really? Well i think it's originally from Germany. Besides, it's too dark to be American"

Happened to me many years ago when Yuengling first came to Maryland. I live near the Pa line and the beer was nothing new to me. But the girl at the bar at the Outback in Belair, Md. charged me extra for a Yuengling. She said it was imported. I explained it was brewed closer than the BMC they had on tap.....she didn't agree...was "Chinese" she said. :drunk:

Happened to me many years ago when Yuengling first came to Maryland. I live near the Pa line and the beer was nothing new to me. But the girl at the bar at the Outback in Belair, Md. charged me extra for a Yuengling. She said it was imported. I explained it was brewed closer than the BMC they had on tap.....she didn't agree...was "Chinese" she said. :drunk:

Ying-Ling...yeah, he owns the Chinese restaurant on the corner, right?

Probly includes all dem afrikans, indians, middle easterners n' south americans too.

"American" according to innocent woman: homogenic cultural void of redundant nothingness

I was at my local Iron Hill Brewery (they only serve the beer they make on site) this hick comes in and sits down next to me at the bar, and ask me if they have any bud light on tap while he was staring at the tap list they have hanging on the wall right in front of him... I nicely told him they make their own beer and wouldn't have bud light... I was drinking a very dark stout.. His reply was I just want to drink something that is a pale piss yellow color.... I couldn't resist and I told him if he could wait 5 mins I could provide that for him... I don't think he got it...

Geiger420 said:
I was at my local Iron Hill Brewery (they only serve the beer they make on site) this hick comes in and sits down next to me at the bar, and ask me if they have any bud light on tap while he was staring at the tap list they have hanging on the wall right in front of him... I nicely told him they make their own beer and wouldn't have bud light... I was drinking a very dark stout.. His reply was I just want to drink something that is a pale piss yellow color.... I couldn't resist and I told him if he could wait 5 mins I could provide that for him... I don't think he got it...

I'm a big fan of iron hill, the beer and the food. But being where it is, I've overheard both Mr. BMC (the person i would assume owns one of those companies, based on his level of support). And I've heard F&M/millersville guys who are "beer guys" try to describe what a dubbel is ("just an extra strong German beer, not as strong as the trippel though"), or why it's called an India pale ale ("because it was originally brewed in India duh")

It's unbyGodleavable how little intelligent life is out there. Geez. I know some folks just don't know any better. But damn,I hate it when those who can't do teach. Makes me glad I don't go to bars anymore. Can't smoke in them,& the DUI laws around here are about as retarded as some of the beer men out there. Even before I started home brewing,we used to go to bedubs after work on Friday (me,my older son,& my wife) for some beers & maybe some munchies or other. We used to work our way through all the taps just to try different beers,some from other countries. They had a crap ton of taps (for a bar in these parts at the time). Some two sets of 12 taps or something on that order. That was right before the craft explosion though.Even then,when I'd take my turn going to the bar to order the next round,people would question how can I drink that dark stuff,it's so strong. What's that? Most drank bud light or miller light just looking around...but boy,people can be dumb some times.

I had 2 silly comments today alone. I'll put them in different posts: The first is a conversation I overheard about 10 minutes ago and just HAD to share:

So I'm standing in front of the beer cooler windows of a VERY poorly stocked shoppette on a base in Korea. The usual suspects are there: BMC of all varieties, Sam Adams Boston Lager, Corona. Plus a few 'specialties': Guinness draught (cans and bottles) and black lager, Red Stripe, and Shofferhofer hefe- and kristalweizen. As I stand there trying to decide the best of a bad selection, 2 guys walk up: Guy A and Guy B. Guy A grabs a 6-pack each of the hefeweizen and kristalweizen while he explains to a buddy on his cell phone that hefe and kristal are "similar, but different. The same, but not."

I think to myself, "Self, that's close enough of an explanation for me".

As Guy B continues to look for his beer of choice, which is not apparently in stock, a couple walks up and I hear the husband say, "Now, should I get Miller Genuine Draft or Miller light? THAT is the question!" His wife doesn't answer him as she grabs 2 6-packs of Corona light. Guy B, apparently happy with finding his beer of choice, says, "Neither. If you want something good, grab some of this". He then taps a 12-pack of Bud Light Platinum that's under his arm.

I LITERALLY laughed out loud!! Unfortunately, that's not the end of the story. The husband shrugs off the comment and grabs a 6-pack of Budweiser instead and heads to join his wife at the register. The husband returned a few seconds later and puts the 6-pack of Bud back and grabs a 6'er of Corona light. I grabbed a 6'er of the Hefe and went to the register. As I'm standing and paying the man, the couple is at the register next to mine and I overhear the husband tell the wife, "Nah, I decided to go with this one because it tastes better than the Bud."

I paid the nice man behind the register and walked out the door thinking to myself, "Self, I'm definitely going to post this to HBT when I get home!!"

So the 2nd happened as I was getting ready to leave work.

I was talking with a buddy of mine about him coming over to my house for Thanksgiving. He had asked me if he should bring anything. I told him to bring a beverage of his choice "JUST IN CASE" my pumpkin ale isn't ready yet. It's going to be a little early (only been in bottles for 3 weeks as of Wednesday) but I'm hoping it's not so green that it's undrinkable. Another guy in the shop perks up and says, "You brew your own beer?!? That's awesome!" "Yeah, it's pretty cool" I answered. He walked closer as he asked, "Do you use hops or yeast in yours?"

I LITERALLY laughed out loud and in his face but regained my composure (and reigned my desire to call him an idiot) and told him that I use both. He commented that "Some people only use 1 or the other so if I use both mine must be really good!"

I calmly explained that hops are for flavor and aroma while yeast is what allows the creation of alcohol. Both are required, in addition to some form of grain which yields the sugar which the yeast feed on to create the alcohol. My buddy, who was also very amused by this guy's comment, rescued me by telling me that I could get barley in the 'ville on market days.

It looks like I'll be checking out the next market day to sample some local grains. I don't have all the equipment for AG brewing, but I may still experiment with some local grains. If nothing else, it'll be fun. I've got a few extra pouches of pellet hops in the fridge and priming sugar out the wazoo so if I invest in a few extra packets of yeast (liquid isn't a viable option to ship out here) perhaps I'll find something drinkable.

On a tour at Sam Adams the tour guide was explaining crystal malts. He said the difference between them is how long they're roasted. Crystal 40 is roasted for 40 minutes, crystal 10 is roasted for 10 minutes, crystal 80 is roasted for 80 minutes...

So what is the real answer cause I don't know. I'm going to guess that crystal 10 is a certain color regardless of how long is was cooked/baked/whatever.

This happens to me a lot, but it has an explanation:

I'd say that 50% of the time when someone older ask me if I do beer and what materials do I use the conversations ends like this:

"I use malt, hops, yeast, water and a bit of dextrose for give the beer carbonation"

"Oh, do you only brew dark beers?" common answer
"So you need beer to make more beer?" I received this one once

Back then there was only one brand of 'dark' beer, the brand name was malta(malt) so old people here call all dark beers malta. I've explained this to one of my grandmothers at least 7 times and I think she is still don't get it.

#1, "I don't like beer." My response, "Then you haven't tried enough." But I'm fine with this one because it leaves more for the rest of us. The only problem is this same person votes.

#2, "Beer is an acquired taste." Response, "No, whatever your taste there is a beer out there engineered to match--see response to number 1."

#3, "Guinness is way too strong for me, I don't like beers with a lot of alcohol." Only response possible is to smash a bottle over your own head to make the pain stop.

#4, "I only drink exotic beers, like Dos Equis." I think the guy was from Utah.

One was I was in a local restaurant that has an awesome selection of really good taps. I overheard the manager giving the waitstaff the lowdown on the specials, etc. and the new beers. He knew what he was talking about but something got lost in translation. The waitress for the section behind me kept calling everything an IPA.
Customer: "What's Goose Island 312?"
Waitress: "It's an IPA" (Really a basic American wheat - pretty far from an IPA.)

Different customer: "What's Brother Thelonius?"
Waitress: "It's an IPA."

So what is the real answer cause I don't know. I'm going to guess that crystal 10 is a certain color regardless of how long is was cooked/baked/whatever.

Crystal malts are usually referred to by their Lovibond rating (the depth of their color). So Crystal 20 has a color of 20 degrees Lovibond, 40 has 40 degrees, so on and so forth. These correspond to different flavor profiles as well, and the flavor and color are both driven by, among other things, how long the grains are kilned for, with darker crystals being kilned for longer.

Guy at work told me three Floyd's dreadnaught uses oranges to get the citrus flavor. I responded that hops provide that flavor and aroma. Was immediately told that I have no idea what I'm talking about because hops are what makes beer have alcohol

When we lived in Colorado (a land with more than its share of good craft brew), I had an interesting exchange with a waitress at a brewpub. I ordered a stout which came at perfect cellar temperature. It always peeves me when I go into a place, order a good ale and they chill it to swill temperature and bring it in a chilled glass. If I wanted taste hidden by numbed taste-buds I'd be drinking BMC!!!! This stout, however, was perfect temperature. I told the waitress that I appreciated their attention to serving it at the right temperature. She said I was the first person to ever tell her that. She went on to say that most people ordered it and then complained that it was warm.

This one is only half related to misconceptions about beer. My wife was at a happy hour and a coworker told her that a hard apple cider was beer and apple juice mixed. :smack: Luckily I've taught her well enought that she quickly corrected the blunder.

When we lived in Colorado (a land with more than its share of good craft brew), I had an interesting exchange with a waitress at a brewpub. I ordered a stout which came at perfect cellar temperature. It always peeves me when I go into a place, order a good ale and they chill it to swill temperature and bring it in a chilled glass. If I wanted taste hidden by numbed taste-buds I'd be drinking BMC!!!! This stout, however, was perfect temperature. I told the waitress that I appreciated their attention to serving it at the right temperature. She said I was the first person to ever tell her that. She went on to say that most people ordered it and then complained that it was warm.

Crap. Am I the only one seeing flashbacks of the tipping thread that wasn't supposed to be a tipping thread?

j1mb said:
Guy at work told me three Floyd's dreadnaught uses oranges to get the citrus flavor. I responded that hops provide that flavor and aroma. Was immediately told that I have no idea what I'm talking about because hops are what makes beer have alcohol

Did you smack this gentlemen?

Response by my family to every beer I make, no matter the style or the IBU's: "Boy, that sure is hoppy.":confused:

Me: "But, it's a pilsner..."

Them: "Mhmm, a hoppy one"

:(

When all you have is an adjective, everything looks like... Hrm, a place to use it, I suppose.

My Bud Light swilling neighbor believes "Light" refers to the color and anything that doesn't say that is a "dark" beer.

Furthermore, any beer with hop character is "skunky"

So, SNPA is a "skunky dark beer"

You should tell him he's wrong. Light acually refers to the flavor.:mug:

After a long brew day, a friend of mine messaged me and asked what I was up to. Told him I was relaxing after said brew day.

The follow up question was how the beer tasted. He thought the beer was done right after the brewing process.

I was on a job site once and some guy was arguing with me about Guinness. He was adamant that Guinness was made by 'scraping the bottom of the Budweiser tanks.' Unbelievable.

-Mike

Onihige said:
After a long brew day, a friend of mine messaged me and asked what I was up to. Told him I was relaxing after said brew day.

The follow up question was how the beer tasted. He thought the beer was done right after the brewing process.

I think this is a common assumption.

My parents visited us for a few days this summer and my dad watched me brew a batch of beer. Every time I drank a beer after that he asked me if it was the beer I just brewed. Each time I explained that the beer will take a month or so because it has to ferment and he'd answer "Oh" but kept asking. Eventually my mom answered for me: "No, it has to ferment, dear!"

At least I taught someone something about beer.

I was at a bar with some friends for my birthday that had something like 40 or 50 beers on tap, most of which were worth drinking. We overheard a stereotypical collage guy come up to the bar and ask if he could get a pitcher of nati light. After a brief pause the bartender answered in a monotone: "No, you can't." I must admit, I laughed. But hey, we all start somewhere. I drank ridiculous amounts of miller high life before I became a hop head homebrewer.

The other day I caught a distributor trying to tell a guy that "Blue Moon" is made in Belgium.

I usually ignore this kind of outrageous nonsense, but enough was enough.

I turned to both of them and said, "Not True. The Blue Moon brand was created at The Sandlot Brewery at Rockies Field, home of said baseball team. Their primary job is exploring new brands that SAB-Miller / Coors wants to market as craft brands. They do a wonderful job, and are notorious at being welcomed in the craft scene by the "true" craft brands. Keith Villa, is a respected man of the scene."

To which the distributor said, "Well it was made originally in Belgium."

"Nope, although the original core style is of Belgium decent, that's about as far as it goes. If anything it has more British roots, than any-other European country. Being that SAB Miller is the primary owner and brewer of the brand..."

I flipped up the 12 pack to show 'em both the label that says, "Brewed and Bottled in Golden, Co."

Then I asked, "What else comes from Golden, CO."
The customer replies, "COORS!"
Bingo!
...sad.

The other day I caught a distributor trying to tell a guy that "Blue Moon" is made in Belgium.

I usually ignore this kind of outrageous nonsense, but enough was enough.

I turned to both of them and said, "Not True. The Blue Moon brand was created at The Sandlot Brewery at Rockies Field, home of said baseball team. Their primary job is exploring new brands that SAB-Miller / Coors wants to market as craft brands. They do a wonderful job, and are notorious at being welcomed in the craft scene by the "true" craft brands. Keith Villa, is a respected man of the scene."

To which the distributor said, "Well it was made originally in Belgium."

"Nope, although the original core style is of Belgium decent, that's about as far as it goes. If anything it has more British roots, than any-other European country. Being that SAB Miller is the primary owner and brewer of the brand..."

I flipped up the 12 pack to show 'em both the label that says, "Brewed and Bottled in Golden, Co."

Then I asked, "What else comes from Golden, CO."
The customer replies, "COORS!"
Bingo!
...sad.

That is awesome!

Regarding Sam Adams being on the import list, I love when I see that in Cincinnati when I've heard they make more Sam Adams in Cincinnati than they do in Boston. Not sure if that's true but they do make it in Cincinnati.

The whole import vs. domestic pricing thing ticks me off. It's so outdated, implying that the more expensive (and thus better) beers must all be imports. It just leads to confusion about the cost of things, and ridiculous claims that pretty banal US beers are imports.

/rant

The whole import vs. domestic pricing thing ticks me off. It's so outdated, implying that the more expensive (and thus better) beers must all be imports. It just leads to confusion about the cost of things, and ridiculous claims that pretty banal US beers are imports.

/rant
Agreed. I think it should say premium vs crap :)

They should distinguish craft/micro vs import vs domestic (mass produced). Obviously they're just calling micro/craft beer an import because it costs more.

Leinenkugels is an import in Minnesota.

Ya, and we make all the people from Wisconsin go through customs when they come to Minnesota. :p

It isn't just beer where people think import when it really is domestic. I've talked to adults who have never been more than one state from where they were born and they have no idea about the geography of the US let alone the rest of the world.:confused:

Back