Scotish ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rferguson61

Reaction score
Are a scotch ale and a Scottish ale the same thing? I'm looking for a good scotish ale recipe...preferably one that doesn't take forever...

I believe that a "Scotch Ale" is also called a "wee-heavy". If you search BJCP it will give you style guidelines.

For recipes, search this site or I like Northern Brewer kits.

Scotch ale is going to be higher gravity and will take a while to condition, that being said I like to condition scottish ales a while too. Scottish/scotch ales were classified traditionally by their gravity in terms of the taxation (in schillings) of that gravity ale.

Without getting into great detail, the higher the gravity, the higher the taxation. The recipes are basically the same except the amount of the ingredients (and malt flavor) are increased to match the classification of scottish/scotch ales, for instance a scottish 60 schilling will have significantly less gravity than a 90 schilling (strong scotch ale/wee heavy).

Here is a starting link to the wiki: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Scottish_Light_Ale You can also search for scottish export, scottish heavy, wee heavy, strong scotch ale, etc.:mug:

Latest posts

Back