Is it worth it to get a few points lower?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtyquinn

Reaction score
I just kegged my Oktoberfest and the gravity was at 1.020.
It fermented at 50 degrees for 16 days then sat at 60 degrees for 2 more days. I was hoping to get a bit lower gravity, I was thinking about keeping the beer in the keg (secondary) at 60 degrees for another day or two in hopes of getting it down a couple more gravity points. Is it worth it? or should I just start the lagering process?

I just kegged my Oktoberfest and the gravity was at 1.020.
It fermented at 50 degrees for 16 days then sat at 60 degrees for 2 more days. I was hoping to get a bit lower gravity, I was thinking about keeping the beer in the keg (secondary) at 60 degrees for another day or two in hopes of getting it down a couple more gravity points. Is it worth it? or should I just start the lagering process?

How's the flavor?

I thought it tasted pretty good. Just a hair sweeter than I like my Oktobers. I prefer the dry malty brew.

I also wonder if I do this, will it mean I have to transfer the beer again before serving

I also wonder if I do this, will it mean I have to transfer the beer again before serving

Since it's at 1.020, I'd be inclined to leave it because it'll be a bit less sweet once it's carbed up unless you find it cloyingly sweet.

What was the recipe? Maybe it's just simply done at 1.020, depending on the ingredients and it wouldn't go any lower no matter what you do.

I just realized your actual question (is it worth leaving sit at 60 degrees for a couple more days?) I say yes it is worth it. A few extra days is worth ensuring the beer is at its proper final resting point. You will most likely end up with some sediment from the lagering process anyhow so you would only have a little bit more yeast to deal with if the SG drops another point or two.

For some reason I thought you were talking about adding more yeast to get it drop. Maybe its because I am in that predicament right now and its what I wished you had asked. Either way if its too cloying I say do what you need to do. I am actually thinking about pitching some wine or champagne yeast in my 1.024 DIPA tonight.

Back