Xingu Black Beer Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

c1377

Reaction score
I had a bottle of Xingu Black Beer in my latest pick-a-six from my LBHS.
I liked it so much I went and got a six-pack of it the next day.
I'll have an open slot Nov 16, and I want to brew this beer.

The bottle says that its from Jacarel, SP - Brasil (imported by Eurobrew, INC.)

I found one reference to a Xingu Clone here on the forums but I don't know which "Clone Brews" book is being referred to.
61HJI4XdzdL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg
or
51ZEQXS9VKL._SL500_BO2,204,203,200_AA219_PIsitb-sticker-dp-arrow,TopRight,-24,-23_SH20_OU01_.jpg

there is a clone recipie for that beer in clone brews. A lager 5.8% abv, ibu 23, srm 110. The origional is brewed by Cervjaria Sul Brasileira Ltd., Toledo, Brazil.

I would be quite pleased if someone would post the recipe and identify the author/book they got it from. :)

And for everyone else:

XINGU
beerwithshadow.jpg

EXPLORE
THE HEART
OF DARKNESS

An opaque, full-bodied black lager with mild bitterness. Extravagant treacle and anise aromas. Rich and creamy, well balanced sweet notes and hints of tartness with exceptional mouthfeel, in two words: Black Silk
Imported from Exotic Brazil
Available in most states in 22 ounce and 12 ounce bottles. Please contact us for a distributor near you. [email protected]

91 points -Exceptional-
Beverage Testing Institute 1999:
Tastings.com Home Page
Xingu - Black Beer from Brazil - Favorite Hard-to-Find Beers - Epinions.com
Xingu - Black Beer from Brazil
Jul 24 '01

The Bottom Line A full-flavored, premium black lager that is surprisingly smooth and rich. Despite its dark, ominious appearance, this beer is very easy on the palate and quite enjoyable. Highly recommended.

Xingu - pronounced shin-goo' -- is a tributary of the mighty Amazon River. It is also the name of an exotic, all natural beer that is the fourth largest selling brand in the South American continent.

Xingu Black Beer
--------------------------------------------------
This beer is brewed by Cervejaria Cacador in the city of Toledo, state of Paraná, Brazil. It is a 5% alcohol by volume black lager beer that is brewed as a kind of homage to an ancient style of beer brewed by the Amazonian peoples who made beer using manioc root (a starch; staple food that is eaten like a potato) or dark roasted corn. Fermentation was achieved spontaneously via wild yeasts.

Well, that was in the old days. Today, this beer is brewed using traditional Reinheitsgebot ingredients: barley, hops, water and yeast.

The beer itself pours with a very dark brown -- indeed almost black -- color and is virtually opaque. A rocky, brown-colored, thick foam head is produced during the pour that long lingering in the glass. The dark color of the beer is produced by black-roasting malts from the South American grown barley. The roasted malts give this beer its coffee, molasses and licorice aromas. Hop varieties used are Hallertau and Yakima. I must say that this beer was very much like the black German lager Köstritzer Schwarzbier -- although I found it to be silkier and smoother in texture and mouthfeel. The finish was very similar to a dark beer I've tried in recent months from Australia -- Old Australia Stout -- sweet and malty, and having a mild level of bitterness.

I had Xingu a long time ago in my "gotta try every exotic beer phase," and remember liking it... a LOT! I should try it again and see if it comes anywhere near my memory of it. I remember it having a really nice butterscotch flavor. Hopefully someone posts a recipe cuz I might like to give it a whirl.

I, too, am a fan of Xingu. It's one of those beers that's great for experienced beer drinkers but also beginners as it's not the typical "dark" beer (read stout). I would love to find a recipe for this as well.

It is in the Clone Beer book (hint: not the north america one). I can post a recipe when I get a second if there is still interest.

I just had one of these last night.

Very malty sweet.

I do not know where to locate the recipe but im guessing there is a fair amount of munich malt in there.

Lol ok well since no one clicks on my links apparently:

Recipe: Xingu
Brewer: Lawrence Santello
Asst Brewer:
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 6.41 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 31.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 24.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 70.30 %
0.75 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.75 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.75 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 6.59 %
0.50 lb Melanoiden Malt (20.0 SRM) Grain 4.39 %
0.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 4.39 %
0.13 lb Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM) Grain 1.14 %
0.40 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.80 %] (60 min) Hops 20.7 IBU
0.50 oz Crystal [5.10 %] (10 min) Hops 3.2 IBU
0.25 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs California Lager (Wyeast Labs #2112) Yeast-Lager

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11.38 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 164.3 F 152.0 F

Notes:
------
Primary in swamp bucket in the high 50s. Didn't do any real lagering in secondary.

Nice recipe, might have to try it.

Though there is favor in the beer that I think comes from the water used in Brazil.

I remember when I was down there, the beers all had a certain similar taste that I haven't found in other beers, my guess was its from how they treat the water down there.

Could be wrong, I know Sagres beer has a simular taste, and it's made in Portugal.

If you ever see the Bohemia style Sagres, it's worth getting.

On a side note, Xingu is too heavy to actually drink in Brazil.

Would anyone be able/willing to convert the receipe listed for us extractors? Much appreciated...
~~~~~~~~~~
2 more months until I bottle my burbon soaked oak chip infused russian imperial stout!!!!

It's in "Clone Brews - recipes for 200 Commercial Beers". Pages 128-129. My printer is acting up so hopefully this will work for now. GL I have 10gallons lagering as we speak.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead.... But did anyone try the recipe in the book? Is it close? Thoughts on changes you would make? It seems a little high on the IBUs compared to my memory of xingu.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back