Sediment in Bell's Amber Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JMSetzler

Reaction score
3160000759_70126fdee8_o.jpg

I'm posting this photograph that I just made of a glass of Bell's Amber Ale. I photograph beers like this when I plan to use them in my blog. The first thing I noticed when I poured this beer as the head settled in was a hanging sediment in the glass. You can easily see that in the photo here. I'm not used to seeing that in manufactured bottles of beer. Is this uncommon? I do not notice any odd flavor in the beer. It tastes as I would expect...

John Setzler
Hickory, North Carolina, USA

To the best of my knowledge, all of Bell's products are unfiltered. I frequently consume their Pale Ale and Two Hearted and they have always been unfiltered. I also consume the Oberon in the summer, but that is a wheat ale and I would expect it to be unfiltered.

To the best of my knowledge, all of Bell's products are unfiltered. I frequently consume their Pale Ale and Two Hearted and they have always been unfiltered. I also consume the Oberon in the summer, but that is a wheat ale and I would expect it to be unfiltered.

Good deal and thanks for the response. I got a bottle of the Oberon to try as well...

A lot of store bought wheat beers have sediment in the bottle.

Hell, a Hefe wouldn't be a Hefe without the hefe in the bottom of the bottle!

I'm glad to find this out :)

Until recently, I kept my bottled beer purchases rather limited to 8 or 10 different selections. I had never encountered sediment from anything other than home brew...

oh yeah I've brewed several batches with harvested Bell's yeast...I don't know WHAT it is, but it does work...It's a nice yeast to use when you are cloning a Bell's beer.

Actually if you think about it the majority of the world's beers are bottle conditioned...it's just that we are SO used to the dead and filtered macroswill in the market place...but that only account for a small segment of the beer population...

Look at this (by far not comprehensive) list of bottle conditioned beers in the world's marketplace....and it isn't even up to date, but it is the best that we have if we want to harvest.

Yeasts from Bottle Conditioned Beers

From that it says,
Bell's Amber Ale
{1} Bottle conditioned. Same as Wyeast 1056/YeastLab A02 American Ale {1} Very clean flavour. Very high flocculation.

Back