Question about d-rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trosk

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first lager and was wondering if doing your rest too late has any negative effects on the beer. I raised the temperate to 68 two days ago but I think fermentation was already done should I just transfer now and drop the temp back down?

I don't believe so. Even though fermentation may be complete, the yeast will still be able to clean up the diacetyl. Give it a few more days.

I doubt it can have any negative effects compared to not doing the late D-rest.

My reasoning is that active lager yeast at high temperatures produce less than optimal output. For a D-rest, the other effects (cleaning diacetyl) are more important than avoiding the small amount of ester/whatever production.

If it's too late, the only risk is that too much yeast dropped out, so it may not be as effective a D-rest as it could have been. It'll likely still do some good. Many lagers don't even need the rest (though some, like the Bock I just raised temperature on, certainly do).

I'm on my first lager as well (5 gal Maibock with wyeast bohemian) and pitched my starter at 46 degrees, which is the same temp as the current fermentation is taking place at. When I do my d-rest, how high should I raise the temp and how long should I keep it that high? Also, can I continue to lager at 46 degrees or should I be lagering at a lower temp? My basement back room holds 45-50 degrees easily, but I could open the windows if I needed it colder.

Back