RIMS system temp controller help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBiermann

Reaction score
Hey,

Just got my Ta4 temp controller which I will be using for my RIMS system and having a little difficulty figuring out how to wire the damn thing. Ports 1 and 2 will be my AC connection but which ports does my thermocoupler attach to and from which ports do I run my leads to my heating element? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,

Josh Biermann

Post a picture of your controller. I can't remember model numbers. If it's Love or an Auberins, should be on-line manual.

I have a wiring diagram that came with it but my options are not exactly clear. ports 3&4 SSR Out1, 5&6 SSR AL1, 7-8-9-10 RIT, 11&12 SSR AL2. I'm no electrical engineer but it just seems unnecessarily cryptic and I cant find a tutorial anywhere. Guessing OUT1 should be my leads to the element but where to attach my thermocoupler?

photo-2.JPG

photo-1.JPG

Okay, you have the SSR output model. That means pins 3+4 are going to output some DC voltage to trigger a solid state relay and you will need to wire your device (pump or heating element? what sort of RIMS do you have?) to the SSR.

The thermocouple goes on pins 7 & 8. See the 'TC' there? It's polarity sensitive. If you get a negative value for the temp you probably need to switch the wires around.

Power goes in on 1 & 2. It does not matter which one is hot or neutral, either will work.

SSR output is on 3 & 4. It is polarity sensitive. 3 is negative and goes to the SSR negative side. 4 is positive and connects to the SSR positive side.

Alarm is on 5 & 6. I assume this is alarm 1. You can set it to alert to you an over or under temperature condition.

Make sure you configure it to match your temperature probe type.

The system will just be used to regulate the mash temperature via passing wort through a tube with the heating element. Thanks for getting me started, still need to order the thermowell and a probe that fits it. Any recommendations on what should work well for the TA4?

Cheers,

Josh

Thanks for advice. Any suggestions on temperature controller configuration? Settings that seem to be working well? Finally have all the stainless and installing soon, i'll throw up a picture.

Cheers,

Josh

Back