Pilsner Racking to Secondary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geebee1932

Reaction score
Hello,
I enjoy this forum very much and have found it as an excellent source of information. Thanks to all who participate. I brewed a Bitburger last weekend (all grain with WPL 830 yeast). It is my first try at a Pilsner. It is fermenting nicely at 50 deg. in my beer fridge. I was thinking of racking straight to a keg for laggering. I realise that the first few glasses will have some sediment in it if I do this. Any thoughts? If I do this do I need an airlock on the keg or can I just keep it closed an bleed off the CO2? Thanks in advance for all of your replies.

I just did this with an IPA and I have more than a few glasses with sediment. The extra carb was nice though. If I had to go back and do it again, I would secondary for a couple of days in the fridge to clear out some yeast, then go into the keg. I don't mind the sediment, but the commercial beer friends of mine do. They go thirsty.

I don't know if this is the "preferred" method or not, but I've done it once and will do it again soon. It's been a while, but I don't recall having an issue with turbid beer from the yeast... maybe in the first glass. I'd get the beer down to near-lagering temps before transferring to help settle out as much yeast as possible before racking.

I got a deep bready/yeasty flavor in my last lager because I left it on the trub too long. My wife loved it so whatevs.

Back