Bottle Conditioning and Carbing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thanantos

Reaction score
Sorry again for another n00b post, but I am about to bottle my second batch this week and have been doing a TON of reading on the subject of bottle conditioning here and other places around the 'tubes.

I figured I would ask you guys though if there is anything different or special about carbing/conditioning GF beers.

Thanks in advance!

I have found that a GF beer needs a solid 3 weeks instead of 2 to carb. I had drunk most of my first 3 gallon batch by week 3 only to discover that the beer suddenly had a stable head and pretty good taste.

ChasidicCalvinist said:
I have found that a GF beer needs a solid 3 weeks instead of 2 to carb. I had drunk most of my first 3 gallon batch by week 3 only to discover that the beer suddenly had a stable head and pretty good taste.

Well that IS good to know.

How about temp? Did you carb at the same temp as your fermenter?

I find that the length of bottle conditioning is somewhat dependent on how clear the beer is. All the beers I've put through secondary fermentation turn out crystal-clear but take a good 3 weeks (minimum) to carb, at around 70°F ambient temp. However, the few beers I've done with only a long primary come out cloudy but reach full carbonation in as little as a week(!) sometimes.

The one exception to this is the rose blonde I brewed recently, which cleared amazingly in primary after only a week, hit target final gravity perfectly and is decently carbonated after only a few days in the bottle! I don't know what I did to make that happen, but I wish I did so that I could repeat it!

Back