Man, I love Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just bottled my first batch if this stuff.

It sat in primary for just over 6 months. Made it 4/4/13, and bottled today. tastes great from the bottling bucket. I bottled half still and half I primed at hopefully around 2.0 vol CO2.

My question was during cleanup. I used a glass carboy for primary. It still smells like the Apfelwine. I used a hot soak of PBW, hot rinse, and then starsan. It still smells pretty strongly of it. Also, the bottling bucket still smells of it too, even after a wash. Anyone else get this??

I've never carbed anything before but I think I want to carb my next batch since I have 2 going at once right now. I don't think I'll sweeten it so can someone give me the specifics on how I would carb it?

From reading this thread and others I think I have a good idea but I don't want to leave out a step that could be critical. Do I take 4-5 ounces of priming sugar (for my 5.5 gallon batch), mix it with a few ounces of warm water and put it in my bucket and then rack my Apfelwein on top of it, stir and then bottle? Is it that simple? Do I need to use K-meta(campden) or Sorb? Do I need to let it sit for a while before bottling it or just bottle right away? Do I need to pasteurize it if I'm not planning on sweetening it?
That's basically right. I usually dissolve the priming sugar in a quart or so of the apfelwein rather then water, but that's just a personal preference. Just make sure that your priming sugar is thoroughly mixed with your apfelwein. If you don't, you could end up with differences in carbonation between bottles.

You don't need to let it sit after adding your priming sugar. Potassium sorbate prevents yeast reproduction and would make it take forever for your priming sugar to ferment and carb your bottles, so no. Don't add campden if you are bottle carbing.

You also don't need to pasteurize. Your priming sugar is going to ferment and produce a fairly precise amount of co2. Enough to carbonate, not enough to make a mess or blow up the bottles. If you back sweeten with something fermentable, then you need to pasteurize before to much of it ferments and starts blowing up the bottles. In your case, there wouldn't be any sugar to ferment in the bottles that would cause you a problem. That's why lactose or splenda are good choices for back sweetening. They don't ferment, so the process for sweetening and carbing is really straight forward.

Awesome thanks. Last two things. I know it's all subject to ones own taste but is there a good start point for how much Splenda to a 5 gallon. This ties into oxidation. I'm thinking if I stir it in then keep adding to taste and keep stiring it will oxidize it. Is that a concern with apfelwine? Anyone had any off tastes from leaving it on yeast cake for almost 3 months?
Well, tastes for sweetness vary a great deal. I would recommend pulling a quart or so as a sample. Sweeten that to taste, and keep track of how much sweetener you need. Multiplying that amount of sweetener by the total batch volume should get you in the right ballpark.

For some reason, cider just doesn't seem to have the problem with oxidation that most other fermented beverages do. I'm not sure why, but it just doesn't seem to be an issue.

Just bottled my first batch if this stuff.

It sat in primary for just over 6 months. Made it 4/4/13, and bottled today. tastes great from the bottling bucket. I bottled half still and half I primed at hopefully around 2.0 vol CO2.

My question was during cleanup. I used a glass carboy for primary. It still smells like the Apfelwine. I used a hot soak of PBW, hot rinse, and then starsan. It still smells pretty strongly of it. Also, the bottling bucket still smells of it too, even after a wash. Anyone else get this??
Not in glass, in plastic sure. Try scrubbing it down with baking soda in a little water. That won't completely get rid of it in plastic if you fermented in a bucket. In a bottling bucket, where it wasn't there very long, that and a week or so to air should take care of it.

I took the op's recipe and giving that a try for my first time

image-1439813312.jpg

When bottling my Apfelwein, if I am not carbonating, is it still ok to leave headspace in the bottle? I ask because it's just easier and faster to use my bottling wand and leave the same headspace I do for beer. THanks.

When bottling my Apfelwein, if I am not carbonating, is it still ok to leave headspace in the bottle? I ask because it's just easier and faster to use my bottling wand and leave the same headspace I do for beer. THanks.
That's perfectly fine. I bottle with standard headspace all the time.

So does that make it an apfelwein or an apple mead? ;-)
Hmm, in my opinion you can only really call it a cyser if the dominant fermentable is honey. So, it would depend on the proportions. I know lots of people will disagree though.

WShprGf.jpg

TODAY WAS BOTTLING DAY!!

All bottles we carbonated.

However, I did try the product still (I used brown sugar instead) AMAZING STUFF!

Can't wait to hand some out to my friends and family!

SWMBO's sister in law had some of mine on tap last night and was thoroughly plowed. It was rather humerous until she statted puking haha. She vowed this morning not to drink it anymore...
Funny this is I'm the one who got complained to, like I forced her to drink it!

Sweeten slightly, and don't tell her the ABV. :)

This is what I did with the monstrous 16.5% abv batch I made. Sweetened it with about 3 pounds of sugar then kegged it, and the old lady was wondering why she kept falling asleep in front of the tv after only 2 wine glasses full in an evening.

I thought that cutting my apfelwein with soda water (gespritzt) would slow my rate of consumption. The apfelwein is actually disappearing faster - I just have to pee more often. Hopefully drinking the extra water will mean that I will not be calling EdWort a mother****er tomorrow morning.

I was going to make some of this today, but the only yeast I have is red star pasteur champagne dry yeast.
Is this a big deal, or will it not change it too much?
Thanks.

I was going to make some of this today, but the only yeast I have is red star pasteur champagne dry yeast.
Is this a big deal, or will it not change it too much?
Thanks.

It will be fine. I prefer to use EC-1118 or RC-212 over Montrachet. When EC-1118 was out of stock they pointed me to the Red Star Pasteur as a substitute. I ended up not using it..since I found some EC-1118, but it should be fine. Champagne yeasts are used for a lot of ciders. I think the use of Montrachet here was a bit of an outlier, but it worked for Ed Wort and worked fine when I used it, so who am I to question. I've always had fewer "rhino farts" with EC-1118 compared to Montrachet as well.

It will be fine. I prefer to use EC-1118 or RC-212 over Montrachet. When EC-1118 was out of stock they pointed me to the Red Star Pasteur as a substitute. I ended up not using it..since I found some EC-1118, but it should be fine. Champagne yeasts are used for a lot of ciders. I think the use of Montrachet here was a bit of an outlier, but it worked for Ed Wort and worked fine when I used it, so who am I to question. I've always had fewer "rhino farts" with EC-1118 compared to Montrachet as well.

How does the taste of the final product compare with EC-1118 vs Montachet? Is it very similar? I have an EC-1118 batch that cleared in about 3 weeks, and a few Montrachet batches that are still cloudy and at 1.000 or so after 2.5 months. I wanted to start another batch, but I haven't bottled any yet to compare and decide which yeast to use.

Recluse said:
Thanks. I figured it would be fine, but I know so little about the different yeasts. Still learning every time I brew.
I'll try it this afternoon.

How does the taste of the final product compare with EC-1118 vs Montachet? Is it very similar? I have an EC-1118 batch that cleared in about 3 weeks, and a few Montrachet batches that are still cloudy and at 1.000 or so after 2.5 months. I wanted to start another batch, but I haven't bottled any yet to compare and decide which yeast to use.

I like the EC-1118 product over the Montrachet. They are very similar, but the EC-1118 seems crisper and cleaner somehow. Also seems to survive better in solution and I tend to get better bottle carbonation more quickly (and no less clarity). Even though EC-1118 goes to dryness and beyond, I get the sense of more apple flavor and a touch of sweetness.

Lately I have switched over to RC-212 yeast which is much like EC-1118 but leaves a tiny bit more sweetness and flavor than EC-1118. This is all very slight and subjective. I've never done a blind or triangle test to confirm my impressions. After one pint it doesn't matter anyway :drunk:

I like the EC-1118 product over the Montrachet. They are very similar, but the EC-1118 seems crisper and cleaner somehow. Also seems to survive better in solution and I tend to get better bottle carbonation more quickly (and no less clarity). Even though EC-1118 goes to dryness and beyond, I get the sense of more apple flavor and a touch of sweetness.

Lately I have switched over to RC-212 yeast which is much like EC-1118 but leaves a tiny bit more sweetness and flavor than EC-1118. This is all very slight and subjective. I've never done a blind or triangle test to confirm my impressions. After one pint it doesn't matter anyway :drunk:

I just wasn't sure if there was a major taste difference where using EC-1118 produced a totally different product. If it's very close, I'll just keep using the EC-1118. Here is the difference between my 3.5 week old batch with EC-1118 and my 2.5 month old batch with Montrachet:

2013-10-14123852.jpg

2013-10-14123859.jpg

Yep... The quick clearing was what sold me on EC-1118 as well, but I tend to keep my Apfelwein in the fermenter for a minimum of 8 weeks whether it is clear or not. Nice to have the option to bottle sooner, though! That said, my Montrachet batches always cleared by 8 weeks or sooner.

I have been adding Yeast Nutrient to all batches. Ran out of the yeast nutrient I had been using, and use DAP now which seems fine.

If you like the taste of the Montrachet fermented product, I am sure you will love the EC-1118 version.

Sadly, even though all my Montrachet batches have been in the fermenter over 8 weeks, they still haven't even begun to clear.

Sadly, even though all my Montrachet batches have been in the fermenter over 8 weeks, they still haven't even begun to clear.

Only solution is to drink it cloudy :)

If you bottle prime, you will likely get some precipitated yeast in the bottle and it may clear there. Like a secondary fermentation, but in the bottle instead of a carboy. Alternatively, you might want to do a secondary. Once you rack off the product from any yeast sediment, it might help clear it. I do this for beers and it seems to help. Doesn't look like you have much sediment in the EC-1118 batch, and the Montrachet is too cloudy to tell. At least snatch some and make sure the fermentation is done...

Only solution is to drink it cloudy :)

If you bottle prime, you will likely get some precipitated yeast in the bottle and it may clear there. Like a secondary fermentation, but in the bottle instead of a carboy. Alternatively, you might want to do a secondary. Once you rack off the product from any yeast sediment, it might help clear it. I do this for beers and it seems to help. Doesn't look like you have much sediment in the EC-1118 batch, and the Montrachet is too cloudy to tell. At least snatch some and make sure the fermentation is done...

I've sampled it to test gravity and it seems to have leveled around 1.000. I tried some champagne yeast to see if it was stuck but it didn't change. I believe 1.000 is a little higher than it should have ended up at, but it's been stable.

I've sampled it to test gravity and it seems to have leveled around 1.000. I tried some champagne yeast to see if it was stuck but it didn't change. I believe 1.000 is a little higher than it should have ended up at, but it's been stable.

Mine have ended up anywhere from 0.996 to 1.0 so I think you are probably done.

So does that make it an apfelwein or an apple mead? ;-)

It makes it...apfelwein, made with honey. I inquired and the general concensus is that you'd have to use 50% honey by mass for anyone to get more excited about it.

It's not bad, just very thoroughly dry. There is no alcohol bite at all, just an essence of apple. A tiny hint of sweetness (say a splash of Sprite) makes the apple flavor explode, but it is very good dry and I prefer it that way.

Sometimes I drink it straight in a wine glass, sometimes I dump it in a pint glass and mix it 50/50 with some lemon seltzer (very refreshing and quaffable). It goes well with a little lemon.

Are there any issues that arise from the FG being over 1.000 besides chance of bottle bombs?

IT might be a touch sweeter and go down really easy!! Don't think you have to worry about bottle bombs if it is only slightly higher. I've had a couple of batches finish at 1.001 and 1.002 and they were fine. Of course, this is probably within the measurement error of my hydrometer, so it may have really been 1.0 or less. I primed with the usual 1 oz/gallon dextrose, so there certainly would have been bottle bombs if fermentation was still active.

Did you ever try pasteurizing a sample, or a fining agent?
Are there any issues that arise from the FG being over 1.000 besides chance of bottle bombs?
No.

It makes it...apfelwein, made with honey. I inquired and the general concensus is that you'd have to use 50% honey by mass for anyone to get more excited about it.

It's not bad, just very thoroughly dry. There is no alcohol bite at all, just an essence of apple. A tiny hint of sweetness (say a splash of Sprite) makes the apple flavor explode, but it is very good dry and I prefer it that way.

Sometimes I drink it straight in a wine glass, sometimes I dump it in a pint glass and mix it 50/50 with some lemon seltzer (very refreshing and quaffable). It goes well with a little lemon.
Liked for using the word quaffable.

Just started my first apfelwein today! I used Edwort's original recipe however with one change. I acquired a boat load of apples from companies farm and an apple press. I read the first 20 pages and didn't see one person that used fresh apple cider and decided to go for it. Pressing enough apples to make 5 gallons was quite a task but boy was it sweet and delicious.

I wasn't going to boil the cider but paranoia set in and went ahead an boiled it for 20 minutes to be safe an sound. After the boil I added my 2lbs of dextrose and cooled via wort chiller. Them I pitched the east once bellow 75 degrees and took a O.G. Reading of 1.072 :)

I can not wait to see how this turns out and for sure will be updating.

I decided to wait till I hit the 3 month mark before messing with it further. If it's still cloudy, that's the plan.

Try just racking it. I think the cloudiness is due mostly to the dissolved CO2. Racking seems to knock out some of that gas and allows things to settle out. If you have a wine whip you might want to just degas it in the fermenter and let it settle out again, does the same thing.

Bloody friggin tutts. I racked mine in 3 weeks off the thingy at the bottom and now have infected them. Oh woes!

After reading so much about this I just started a 6 gallon batch. The OG was 1.062 so it won't quite be as potent as wine but I'm excited to try it none the less.

Add 6 gals to the count from me! 5 gals made to original recipe and 1 gal made with ginger and brown sugar, still waiting to try to the 1 gal batch! Love this stuff!!!

Anyone in the Orlando, fl area know of a good place to score some cheap apple juice? Best I've found so far is costco, 2 gals for 9.99.

Decided I should take gravity readings on my two batches today, mostly out of desire to try my samples, haha.

Glad I did; the first batch is a stuck fermentation. Stopped bubbling a few days ago, and it's only at 1.02 (started at 1.095), so I've moved that into a warmer room to see if it kickstarts it again. The second batch started at 1.068, and it's down to 0.999, so we're probably good on that one.

As far as trying the samples goes, oh, I could get used to this. I really like this even without aging.

Oldest I've had a batch get yet is roughly 6 weeks from yeast pitching to an empty keg.

In the keg it's pretty much "bad idea on tap". Soooo good and smooth, it's ridiculous. Before you know it, it's naptime haha. I kegged a 2 month old batch about 2-3 weeks ago and it lasted a week. Granted, swmbo's sister in law had like 1/4 of the keg last Saturday, but yeah, it disappears quickly.

Latest posts

Back