Some scratches on BK from shipping acceptable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chugmaster

Reaction score
Received a stainless steel brew kettle in the mail today.

Has some scratches on the outside and on the inside.

Is it acceptable that a new SS pot will at least have a few minor scratches on it after shipping?

That's kind of up to you. If they aren't that bad, I wouldn't worry about it. The scratches won't hurt anything.

I guess it depends on you really. I don't think I'd be to happy paying for an expensive stainless pot and have it arrive scracthed.

You did say minor, how minor?

Small scratches on the interior bottom and some on the outside. No large scratches. I'm just wondering if most people get their pots in pristine condition or because of their nature, it's impossible to keep a large pot scratch-free.

My first brewpot was a buyou clasic 36 qt stianless. Right out of the box, the handle came off the lid. I didn't really care since it was a brewpot and I rarely have to handle the lid while it's hot. My buddy told me I should ship it back, but I decided to brew instead. My second purchase was (3) 40 gallon stock pots off ebay. They arrived with some minor dents/scratches and the lids were out of shape a little. Had to bend them around to get them to fit right. Took a rubber mallet and pounded out the dents. I made out like a rat on the stock pots so instead of complaining I just got out a step bit and went to work.

if its new its not acceptable. its been out of the box and is at best an open box item and should have a substantial price break.

It its a custom drilled or welded pot its not new and can't be new after they unpack it to do work on it. machine shop benches, concrete floors and tools scratch stuff and a scratched pot isn't critical. perfectly acceptable.

That must be where the scratches came from. I have two welds on the front.

Thanks for the input.

Latest posts

Back