Batch #9..Thinking about Dumping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arneba28

Reaction score
So I just tried the first bottle from a Hodge Podge Batch that I threw together.
I know I added to much corn sugar to the wort and it took a nasty cider smell. I also know that it has a bandaid smell..sanitizer and yeast mixing problem? The cider taste has started to mellow since I bottled...
The color is great, carbonation is...strange to say the least..Thinking infection. Its super carbed. bubbles, big ones, continue to rise for a few minutes..The beer is pretty mouth puckering bitter also.

thoughts...?

Will the Band-Aid taste come out with aging or should I just dump.:mad:

2 weeks, Thats usually how loong I wait to drink. They are fully carbed with all my beers after 2 weeks.

Give it time. If doesn't hurt to keep it for another month and see if it mellows out. You never know, you might miss a really great beer.

Welll. a Great beer it wont be, thats for sure. But I am happy to say that after just over 4 weeks in the bottle it is drinkable. The band aid and cidery taste are completely gone. Great carbonation, best of any batch. There is still an off though that was covered earlier, its a slight dustyness, oxidation or hot side aeration?

Wow, I've never heard of the dreaded bandaid flavour going away. I've had two batches with it and it just got worse and worse. Time to throw a party and drink that stuff up before it comes back:mug:

It has been, key word being "has", been getting better I just had 3 people try it and I served it at 42deg F. The taste was minimal to me but still slightly noticable. It has almost completely diminished. The 3 people that I had try it said it was good, just a little twang to it, if you know what I mean. They didnt taste BandAid or the cidery taste that it originally had as well. The one guy that tasted it also brews with me but does not have a very discerning taste. It will be a miracle if this turns out drinkable. But apparently everyone thinks its drinkable except myself. Then again when I tell people I can taste it, they tell me that my taste buds are literally retarded.. oh well

What temperature were you tasting at originally? When you chill the beer flavors start to become masked. That's how I missed my first infections until the developed fully. Check one of the bottles and see if it has a ring around the inside of the neck at the top of beer level. That's a pretty good indication of an infection.

no ring around the top at all and I always taste at room temp so that I can taste everything.

The beer is ok now...everyone that I have had try it has no problem with it and says its pretty good. I guess I am the only one that can taste the offs in it. I wont drink it so I gave most of it away to people that like it.

My brother keeps getting a sixer every few days, I am down to less then a case now. which is good because I just bottled a PM version(sort of) or EdWorts Hause Pale Ale tonight!!I tastes awsome already

Back