What time do you brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What time do you normally brew?

• Morning (i.e., before noon)

• Afternoon

• Evening (i.e., after dinnertime)

• Middle of the night

Results are only viewable after voting.
I like to start the BK between noon & 2pm usually. Gives me time to get done & cleaned up in time for dinner to get on the stove.

did my secound AG brew last sunday. started heating water at 2pm pitched yeast at 8:30pm.

Saturday morning early. Gives you more reasons to look forward to the weekend when time comes to pop one open.

I've got a 3 year old and an 8 month old. My free time begins at 8:15 pm when they are both in bed. That's why I brew at night. My last 5 gal all-grain batch was completed (including cleanup) in 3:20. So, I'm in bed before midnight:)

I like to start around 11am on a saturday or sunday. That way I am excluded from house work and have the entire day to mess around brewing. 11gal. batches have extended the brew day an extra hour or so, but its all in good fun.

Morning, afternoon, evening. Depends on the weather, time of year, what I'm brewing, and who's helping.

Weekends I get up late and start brewing around 12 or 1, then typically do something else fun in the evening. During the week I typically start late, after dinner so 6-8PM.

jhoyda said:
I've got a 3 year old and an 8 month old. My free time begins at 8:15 pm when they are both in bed. That's why I brew at night. My last 5 gal all-grain batch was completed (including cleanup) in 3:20. So, I'm in bed before midnight:)

This.

Beer:30 for me. Which would be anytime after 9 am or so. Can't think about beer before that, its coffee time to wake up.

I've started as early as 9am. And started as late as 10 pm. Best for me seems to be between 1 and 2 pm for start.

I usually try to get started well before noon. Usually by 9-10 am then finish up early depending of which style I brew. Takes me longer with pilsner malt beers due to longer mashing and boiling times. Plus I like to drink a beer before noon!:mug:

beerloaf

I like to start early. Setup the night before and start by 7am . I try to have everything cleaned up by 1pm so I have the rest of the day to do other things.

Wake up early on a Sunday morning, have a nice big breakfast and heat my strike water at 6:30 and before noon so I can get to the honey-do projects

I am not a morning person but if I planned on getting anything else done that day I need to be brewing by 8 or 9 am.

My son, who is only 5 months old, will factor into it more once he's older I 'm sure, then I'll have to swtich to night time brewing.
THe problem is out here in TX the bugs are BAD at night, you really don't want to have any kind of light source going after dark. Its going to be one protein infused brew if too many bugs drop in.

Morning on the weekends or occasionally after work if I get off early enough. I try to brew Sat/Sun AM around 8ish to be done by lunch-ish. Last week was new equipment, larger equipment, so more cleaning. Started around 7AM and finished around 2PM. Long day for 9.5g of beer.

I like to turn on the gas by 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, and have everything put away by 11 or so.

I like to turn on the gas by 6 a.m. on Saturday morning, and have everything put away by 11 or so.

I would love to do this. I get up reluctantly every weekday at 7AM, so on the weekends it's hard to get up even earlier. This Sunday I was up at 6:27, but I wanted to brew on my new keggle and with new cooler soo bad that I drug my arse out of bed.

I like to Brew on the weekends and holidays.

Saturday/Sunday/Holiday I like to start around 7 or 8 am.

If I do Friday/Day Before Holiday I will start brewing around 7pm -- these are the dangerous brews because I'll have a few while Im doing it.

I would love to do this. I get up reluctantly every weekday at 7AM, so on the weekends it's hard to get up even earlier. This Sunday I was up at 6:27, but I wanted to brew on my new keggle and with new cooler soo bad that I drug my arse out of bed.

You'll be surprised how much easier it is to get up once you're a senior citizen. It does, though, come with a few disadvantages.

In the morning, but just barely. I try to get going before 9am usually get started by 11am.

I'm not organized enough to grind the night before. Besides I might miss watching people shooting alligators or buying storage lockers!

I'm with you Buddy, My two year old is sleeping around 8 so I try and prepare everything the night before ( grind grains, measure out hops, etc) I will flip the switch on my electric HLT around 7:30 and by 8:00 i'm adding strike water! I can usually be in bed at 1:00am with a 12 gallon batch.

I'm also In Phoenix, so at that time of day its at least below 100 degrees outside....

jhoyda said:

...and again

I'd have voted, but I can't pick multiple options. Most of the time I brew in the afternoon, but sometimes I brew when I get off of work at 3am.

I split my brew days. I'll mash Friday or Saturday evening, then boil, cool, and pitch the following morning.

In theory I'd brew before noon. However I'm lazy and by the time on the weekend that I'm up, had my coffee, dicked around on the internet for awhile it always ends up being sometime closer to 1 or 2 before I get started.

I brew all grain, so its a long process. I try start up by 10:30 or 11 on a weekend or day off. That lets me be done right around dinner and gives me an excuse to just grab a pizza because I've been "working" all day!

I almost always start between 9:30 and 10 AM, no matter when I actually intended to. I'm NOT a morning person, so I am not a fan of moving early. I try to get everything ready the night before so I can just heat the water and mash in when I feel like it.

I brew outside and don't have lighting so morning/afternoon. But it mostly depends on my wife, if she's out I can spend as long as I want without someone asking "How much longer?"

Whenever I have free time. I have been working on my Masters degree so free time is hard to come by. Once I get in the work routine in mid July, it will probably be mid-morning on the weekends.

Back