I messed up

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I pitched my yeast yesterday when the wort was between 85 - 88. It's US-05, and it's just barely doing anything at this point 27 hours later. I have a blow off tube and I can see very slight bubbles in the jar that the tube is going in. Have I ruined this beer? I've never seen US-05 take this long before. Last one I had a very active fermentation by this time.

Remember, the only "activity" that means ANYTHING is a change in gravity, anything else can be decieving, especially bubbles. Also remember that as the sticky in the beginners forum, and the million posts on here reiterate, it can take up to 3 days for yeast to get going.

Although the temp is not optimal, that temp really isn't high enough to harm the yeast....You're not talking above a hundred degrees.

Just relax.

Since you can rehydrate US 05 at 90F I doubt you did any harm to the yeast. As mentioned above that temp isn't ideal, but if you brought it down quickly afterwards then it's not a deal breaker. Sometimes high temps will cause yeast to work quicker and more aggressively, so for all you know the yeast is moving slowly for an entirely different reason. Do you aerate? Do you re-hydrate your dry yeast? I'm willing to bet that within another 24 hours you'll see typical signs of fermentation...

I have it in my fermentation chamber now set at 65 and put it in there immediately. I shook the crap out of the pail after putting the yeast in. I've read that too high of temps can cause esters to be released. How would I know if esters were released due to that?

Well, if fermentation hasn't really started yet, then there is a good chance you won't experience problems with esters associated to high temp fermentation. Depending on the style of beer those esters might be ideal. With high esters you might notice fruity flavors, spicy flavors, or even fusel alcohol flavors. It really depends on the yeast strain that you're using. I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you. Keep it at 65F and it will likely surprise you in the end!

Back