Still not seeing any bubbles, should I look for leakages?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
Hi
I pitched the yeast last night, it's been 12 hours and the us05 has made quite a foam on the top, should I see bubbles now? There are no bubbles coming out of that tube
I sealed that thing pretty good, should I look for leakages?

Attachments

• IMG_20230421_093543.jpg
    IMG_20230421_093543.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
That is not a seal, it's a mess. You don't have to look for leaks, you have to look for a new fermentation vessel that closes air tight as yours surely is not doing that.

That is not a seal, it's a mess. You don't have to look for leaks, you have to look for a new fermentation vessel that closes air tight as yours surely is not doing that.
Yeah that's right, I cut off everything, just used some tube sealing tape, sanitized and closed the lid, now it's bubbling crazy

Yeah that's right, I cut off everything, just used some tube sealing tape, sanitized and closed the lid, now it's bubbling crazy
Well done! Next time, invest in a cheap but air tight fermenter. There's nothing worse than having all previous steps ruined by oxidation, just because an improvised seal failed during the last few days in the fermenter..... Don't ask how I know please :D.

Well done! Next time, invest in a cheap but air tight fermenter. There's nothing worse than having all previous steps ruined by oxidation, just because an improvised seal failed during the last few days in the fermenter..... Don't ask how I know please :D.
Haha I know how you know 😂
Next time I'll invest in a carboy and get an airlock with the silicon sealing, so easy just pour the wort inside and place the airlock and that's a very reliable seal, I'm so terrified of oxidation, it's my nightmare. First time I brewed beer, I used bread yeast and my glass vessel had a leakage but the fermentation was so harsh it produced lots of CO2 and the blow off tube was working just fine, I used to shake the vessel everyday (didn't know I shouldn't) and I tell you, the final product, you wouldn't have tried a sip for a million dollars, tasted like used paper towel, like a cardboard box full of.....

Don't worry about bubbles. I haven't seen bubbles in my airlock for the last three or four batches I've done. Probably because all the real active fermentation is taking place during the brief time I'm asleep and not checking on the FV.

The real indicators that something is going on is the kraeusen foam itself and a decreasing Specific Gravity. If you can check the specific gravity of your beer, then you should see that it's SG is going down from whatever the OG (original gravity) was when you put it in the FV before pitching the yeast.

Beer can be completely fermented in just a few days. Those last batches I saw no activity all went to their expected FG (final gravity) in 3 to 4 days. However I left them in the FV for 10 days to 3 weeks so the excess suspended yeast and other stuff in the beer had time to fall to the bottom and let the beer clear. Flavors also improve and change during this time.

If you can't easily get a sample to check it's SG, then just wait till it clears up. By the time it clears up on it's own, it very likely, at least from what I've experienced, reached it's FG. That might be some weeks. I've left beer in the FV for 6 weeks and those were actually some of the beers I consider the best.

it's been 12 hours and the us05 has made quite a foam on the top
That thick foam (aka Kräusen) means it's fermenting. There's nothing else you need to do, except keep the temps as constant as possible and within its (narrow) optimal range, 18-21°C. Prevent large temp drops (such as overnight) as they may stall the yeast. Warming up a few degrees toward the end helps to keep her engaged and finish out.

Don't open that fermenter, let her be. No need for taking gravity readings until she's completely done, like 2-3 weeks after pitching (yeast).

Next time I'll invest in a carboy and get an airlock with the silicon sealing,
I recommend staying away from glass carboys, especially those made the past 10 years or so in China.
Handling large glass vessels can be dangerous but many (all?) made in China are very prone to crack due to inferior manufacturing standards and no QC.

Here's a glimpse of the damage and injuries they may cause:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/
Please, look for using PET plastic (#1 recycling symbol) carboys (and other shaped vessels) instead.
Wide-mouth ones being preferred for easier cleaning, but using either will be fine.

Or use (white) HDPE plastic buckets (#2 recycling symbol) with tight fitting snap-on or screw-on lids for fermentation. I've have been using those for over 10 years.

If I was to do it over again, I would look at Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You can get some good deals from folks that are getting out of the hobby and looking to get rid of stuff. I would suggest a plastic bucket fermenting vessel with a plastic lid and spigot at the bottom. The bucket has the handle to move it around, the spigot makes it so much easier to either bottle or keg when you are ready and the plastic, if dropped won't cut your legs to pieces. I have to 5 gallon glass carboy's a person on my street put out for free so I took them. But when I filled them with water to see how heavy they were I was very surprised, not to mention how slippery they will be when cleaned. I would look into buckets and make sure the lid has a bung drilled for an airlock. If you are handy, you can just get a food grade bucket from Home Depot or Lowes and do all the drilling yourself. Either way, I would check your local Craigslist and see what is out there first. Rock On!!!!!!!!

That thick foam (aka Kräusen) means it's fermenting. There's nothing else you need to do, except keep the temps as constant as possible and within its (narrow) optimal range, 18-21°C. Prevent large temp drops (such as overnight) as they may stall the yeast. Warming up a few degrees toward the end helps to keep her engaged and finish out.

Don't open that fermenter, let her be. No need for taking gravity readings until she's completely done, like 2-3 weeks after pitching (yeast).

I recommend staying away from glass carboys, especially those made the past 10 years or so in China.
Handling large glass vessels can be dangerous but many (all?) made in China are very prone to crack due to inferior manufacturing standards and no QC.

Here's a glimpse of the damage and injuries they may cause:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/threads/broken-glass-carboy-horror-stories-compendium.376523/
Please, look for using PET plastic (#1 recycling symbol) carboys (and other shaped vessels) instead.
Wide-mouth ones being preferred for easier cleaning, but using either will be fine.

Or use (white) HDPE plastic buckets (#2 recycling symbol) with tight fitting snap-on or screw-on lids for fermentation. I've have been using those for over 10 years.
Thanks for the reply
I will stay away from glass and look up those you mentioned.
I can't get the temp lower than 23 degrees, will it lead to off flavors?

If I was to do it over again, I would look at Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. You can get some good deals from folks that are getting out of the hobby and looking to get rid of stuff. I would suggest a plastic bucket fermenting vessel with a plastic lid and spigot at the bottom. The bucket has the handle to move it around, the spigot makes it so much easier to either bottle or keg when you are ready and the plastic, if dropped won't cut your legs to pieces. I have to 5 gallon glass carboy's a person on my street put out for free so I took them. But when I filled them with water to see how heavy they were I was very surprised, not to mention how slippery they will be when cleaned. I would look into buckets and make sure the lid has a bung drilled for an airlock. If you are handy, you can just get a food grade bucket from Home Depot or Lowes and do all the drilling yourself. Either way, I would check your local Craigslist and see what is out there first. Rock On!!!!!!!!
Thank you

Sadly, I can't get anything from Facebook cause I'm living in a country banned by most of the world.
But I will definitely avoid glass carboys

Thanks for the reply
I will stay away from glass and look up those you mentioned.
I can't get the temp lower than 23 degrees, will it lead to off flavors?
It is on the higher end, but it is ok. Not perfect, but probably ok. Next time, try using some Kveik yeast, if you can get them. These can also easily be dried at home and reused voer and over again. Good for people living in crazy countries!

I routinely use US-05 and keep the FV at temps of 68 - 72° F (20 - 22° Celsius) I've heard that lower temps with US-05 give more fruity flavors to US-05. But I don't know that from any experience. US-05 has always been one of the yeasts that I can't detect any flavor that I would strictly attribute to yeast.

And as another posted earlier, you are well within the stated ideal temp range for US-05. You might have to look on SafAle's website though. They had a lot of sachet's with pre-printed information on them and since have determined that the info on them is not correct anymore. But the decided to use them up instead of throwing them away as even at the temps given, you still will make good beer. But they said that the website information is more current and correct.

I never have seen bubbles, but my grandfather used to brew sahti, so you get it all with open fermentation. So bubbles or not, don't sweat it. I put my wort in a bucket, sprinkle the yeast on the wort, loosely cover the bucket, and walk away

Do you have access to bottled water (in 5 gallon/23l jugs)? If you do, the empty jugs can be used as fermenters/carboys, in a pinch. White plastic buckets (preferably 6 gallon size) also work very well.

Do you have access to bottled water (in 5 gallon/23l jugs)? If you do, the empty jugs can be used as fermenters/carboys, in a pinch.
A 2012 article in Wine Maker magazine had this to say: "Steer clear of those blue-tinted water jugs from the hardware store, though. They are usually made of polycarbonate, which does contain BPA and is not suitable for fermented beverages." I haven't seen this anywhere else and don't know if it is correct, but I'll throw it out as food for thought. Maybe someone has updated information.

I think you will be fine with that fermentation vessel. Beer has been successfully made for thousands of years with lesser equipment.

cleanliness and sanitation are far more important that your choice of equipment.

Haha I know how you know 😂
Next time I'll invest in a carboy and get an airlock with the silicon sealing, so easy just pour the wort inside and place the airlock and that's a very reliable seal, I'm so terrified of oxidation, it's my nightmare. First time I brewed beer, I used bread yeast and my glass vessel had a leakage but the fermentation was so harsh it produced lots of CO2 and the blow off tube was working just fine, I used to shake the vessel everyday (didn't know I shouldn't) and I tell you, the final product, you wouldn't have tried a sip for a million dollars, tasted like used paper towel, like a cardboard box full of.....
Northern Brewer has a clearance sale right now on their big mouth bubblers. They're a hundred times nicer than the old style car boys with the tiny little neck. They have the six and a half gallon with a bottom valve for I want to say around 50 bucks. It's less than I paid for mine 10 years ago.

Back when I used to ferment in plastic buckets with the Snap-on lid I would take home one of the hand stretch wrappers from work and spin that on the bucket in order to better seal the lid. It wasn't perfect but it was better. I'm talking about the 3-in wide rolls of stretch wrap used for binding up pieces and parts.

Thanks for the tip, but the OP is in Iran and I don't think they ship internationally.
Yea, sorry... I'm challenged enough just trying to make sure I don't respond to a 10yo post... :D That location text is small and light on this screen. Even after I looked for it, it didn't stick out...

I'll try harder.

People do that all the time. Sometimes even intentionally.
Yes, I just did it intentionally in an equipment thread, just because there was so little info on the smooth roller mill topic.

:hides under chair:

@Ali01 - What options (if any) do you have for buying parts or ingredients? Are there other countries that you are able to order supplies from? eBay from China, anything like that?
We can buy stuff from Amazon or eBay using "middleman" websites (can't think of a better word) but that will be very expressive
There are no brewing stores here

Any container that will hold the wort and that you can resonably seal will work.

A large water jug or can will work fine. In that part of the world, plastic/poly water jugs are likely very common. Get a large one that will hold all the wort with some extra space. Ferment in that.

some of those might even have a spigot of some type on the bottom, making racking the beer easy.

These are just some representations of what Ali01 might find locally in Iran, or anywhere in that part of the world. He does not need to look any farther than his local stores to find stuff that will work just fine and make beer as good as any of us with all our Resorces can.

Access to key ingredients is the only real obstacle. Not equipment.

https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Gallon...O5021pAnSA==&sprefix=water+jug,aps,210&sr=8-7
https://www.amazon.com/Liter-Heavy-...mzn1.fos.d977788f-1483-4f76-90a3-786e4cdc8f10
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2161...d=1683205337&sprefix=water+jug,aps,210&sr=8-9
https://www.amazon.com/Coleman-2000...=1683205337&sprefix=water+jug,aps,210&sr=8-16
https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...%2C210&sr=8-11-spons&psc=1&smid=A6VBPBL5K0R6H
https://www.amazon.com/gp/slredirec...fix=water+jug%2Caps%2C210&sr=8-13-spons&psc=1

Last edited:
Any container that will hold the wort and that you can resonably seal will work.
You know on this note, there's nothing that says you need to have all the wort in one container. People have b;rewed batches of beer that turned out well, as small as 16oz (1/2 L) that I know of. So, even if you have 4L containers and a whole row of them, that'll work. They all just need to be clean.

Latest posts

Back