Meet Barley!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
SWMBO is very active in The Lone Star Horse Rescue and she rehabilitates abused and abandoned horses that are seized by the Animal cops.

For my birthday this year, she decided to adopt a draft cross 4 year old. He may some Belgian and Quarter horse in him.

It's really for her, but she wanted another horse big enough for her Mr. Ed. :D

But since she insists it's for me, I've named him Barley!

Barley-Horse.jpg

He arrives next week. Now I need to get a beer wagon, load it with cornies and pull it around the neighborhood. :cross:

Fitting Name, Ed. And he has some beer pedigree as well(Belgian).:p
Is that where all of your spent grain goes?

thats a nice new grain disposal system there.

Yeah, maybe just a little bit. Horses have finickey stomachs. I think SWMBO might looking into making some horse treats using spent grain and bran perhaps.

Right now, I give my spent grain to my neighbor who feeds it to his chickens. In return, I get a clean MLT and fresh eggs. It's a good deal IMHO.

Nice lines, obviously a medium-weight hauler.

About once a month I'll see a local story about idiots who got a couple horses and just let them breed past the capacity of the pasture. 4-5 years later, Animal Control comes in and takes them. Last case, six horses, one of which was so starved it couldn't stand.

Right now, I give my spent grain to my neighbor who feeds it to his chickens. In return, I get a clean MLT and fresh eggs. It's a good deal IMHO.

Yeah! That's how life oughta work!

No paperwork, no taxes...you each get something you need, and you don't have to deal with the chicken ****. Perfect!

Jill

Barley arrived this morning after a long ride from Kansas. He's in good shape, but needs his hoofs trimmed.

Barley-2.jpg

We're keeping him in the round pen for a few days to let him and the other two horses get acquainted.

Barley-1.jpg

Barley-3.jpg

Talk about solid built, but he's pretty gentle and easy going.

Barley-4.jpg

he looks in pretty decent shape for a rescue there ed, now comes the most expensive part of having horses,,,,upkeep.

Yep, the foster home in Kansas had him for a couple of years before we adopted him. What's another mouth to feed...;)

I'm lucky SWMBO has embraced my brewing hobby, so now she wants me to share in her passion, horses. We'll be trail riding together soon enough.

Thanks guys! Fertilizer a plenty for sure! SWMBO let the other horses out in the pasture to get familiar with Barley. The white one is a 27 year old Quarter horse that SWMBO nursed back to health from starvation and going blind in one eye and the dark brown one is a 7 year old Quarter horse she pickd up at her first (and last :D) horse auction.

Barley-5.jpg

You have some beautiful horses, Ed. Must say I'm envious. ;)

Thanks. It's been SWMBO's dream to be able to have horses since she was a little girl riding one on her grandpa's farm in Tennessee. She found this little 4 acre patch of heaven outside Austin after years of searching. We have lots of neighbors with horses and the neighborhood has a hike & bridal trail which get regular use by trail riders.

Good looking horse there. Looks like he might be part morgan. Or he's just stout. He looks around 13.5-14 hands tall?

Are your horses all broke? Do you ride much?

I used to show horses quite a bit when I was younger.

First of all Biermucher has official scared the crap out of me!

Second, I couldn't be happier for you. Horses cost so much (I'm sure you already know about that). But they're such wonderful animals. I hope you have lots of fun. :mug:

P.S. HBT mascot anyone?

Me too! What type of shows did you do? I did Class-A Arab shows. :eek:

I had a half arab half paint that did trail remarkably well, western, and hunter. We jumped him occasionally but he was so lazy that I was never able to show jump him.

Good looking horse there. Looks like he might be part morgan. Or he's just stout. He looks around 13.5-14 hands tall?

Are your horses all broke? Do you ride much?

We think he is part Belgian part Quarter horse. He's about 16 hands tall from what I've heard. I'll know more later today, SWMBO's horse trainer is coming out to check out Barley and work her 7 year old.

She rides all the time, but the 7 year old needs work. Barley here will need some training too, then I'll start riding him.

Barley started his training this week. This guy is one of those amazing horse whisperers. This is Barley's 3rd session and this guy is riding him without any problems. He says Barley is very smart and picks up on training quickly and best of all is very easy going. Nothing bothers him.

Here he is flexing his neck from one side to the other.

BarleyGettingTrained.jpg

Once he gets the controls down, they'll head out on the trails in the neighborhood.

Barley started his training this week. This guy is one of those amazing horse whisperers. This is Barley's 3rd session and this guy is riding him without any problems. He says Barley is very smart and picks up on training quickly and best of all is very easy going. Nothing bothers him.

Here he is flexing his neck from one side to the other.

BarleyGettingTrained.jpg

Once he gets the controls down, they'll head out on the trails in the neighborhood.

I'm glad for you that it all worked out so well. It does look Belgian. Did you figure out what he is?

Did you figure out what he is?

Not specifically. We're thinking Red Sorel Belgian and Quarterhorse. He's been a great adoption. I'll go down to the paddock and he sees me coming and will be waiting for me at the gate.

Back