Camlock Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frogger42

Reaction score
It appears that most people use SS camlocks and the typical setup involves Male F camlocks on valves/pumps/kettles and the Female C camlock on hoses.

Would there be any issues (leaky seals or the likes) with reversing the setup and using the Male E camlocks on hoses and Female B camlocks on valves/pumps etc.?

It seems like it would make no difference, but since most people use the F/C setup im curious to get your thoughts before spending $100 on fittings.

Generally, you're going to have more fittings on equipment than on hoses so using the more expensive fittings on the hoses to save money makes some sense. The male fittings are also easier to sanitize on a hose than on a piece of equipment. Also the male fittings contain the o-ring/gasket. I'm not sure that I want that gasket exposed to the heat of the kettle while boiling.

I set my system up with the males on the hoses and females on the equipment. Everything works fine. Whether its easier or not this way I don't know cause I never had it set up the opposite way. It would have been cheaper for me, as mentioned above, to put all the females on the hoses. I just opted not to.
Tom

On my system I think it would be a PITA to close those female camlocks if they were attached to the kettle/hlt/mashtun, and really hot.

I have an electric system and can't literally hold the female ends (on the kettles) during the boil and not burn myself. I'm sure it may be different with a flame though.
Tom

All very good and logical responses, thank you!!!!! I will now join the masses and go the F/C route.

Bobby_M said:
One caveat.. I think the type C sucks. Go with B and a 5/8" barb or just put the silicone tubing over the threads.

Does this work with 1/2" ID silicone tubing? Would you even need to use a zip tie/worm clamp at that point?

Does this work with 1/2" ID silicone tubing? Would you even need to use a zip tie/worm clamp at that point?

If you don't take the "bite" off the threads, 1/2"IDx3/4"OD silicone tubing isn't going to fall off. I use Type B females to street elbows with the tubing jammed on the elbow threads and those puppies ain't going anywhere...

Cheers!

either way you do it, get a pair of gloves. i got a new/clean pair of the rubberized work gloves from the depot and they work fine. These suckers get HOT! Actually, functionally having the females on the kettles etc would work better. But, marring up the male ends is probably not good for the connections.

Back