need two kegs carbed in ten days

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zev

Reaction score
I have 2 5g kegs of a pale ale I want ready for 10 days from now. i have one co2 tank with one line out, so i can only carb one at a time.
I currently have one 5g keg hook up with 30PSI since earlier today at room temp(i shook it a little when i first hooked up the gas), the other I just purged the oxygen out of(with the co2 tank @ 15PSI) and set aside at room temp ~70*.

Whats my best bet to have both of these ready?

why cant you do one at a time if you force carb it and shake the hell out of it cant it be carbed it 3days or less?

ive never kegged

Your best bet would be to cut your gas line and install a T and a second gas disconnect.

Can you get the kegs in a refrigerator? If so, you can probably swap the gas to the other keg every few hours and get them carbed in 10 days. For example, switch it when leaving for work, when you get home, and before you go to bed.

What about putting gas line to liquid post (gassing through dip tube) Then run a jumper from the gas post of the same keg to the gas post of the second keg?

I haven't tried it but it sounds good in my head :)

1KD1 said:
What about putting gas line to liquid post (gassing through dip tube) Then run a jumper from the gas post of the same keg to the gas post of the second keg?

I haven't tried it but it sounds good in my head :)

I thought about that. Gas bubbling through keg #1 will strip out some of the head forming proteins. Is it enough to make a difference? I don't know.

As others have stated, you need to chill it. CO2 absorbs much better when the beer is cold. If you are not experienced with force carbing, be carefull it is easy to overdo it. I have found that this page was helpful to me but I don't "burst" carb anymore unless I'm in a jam.

jeepinjeepin said:
I thought about that. Gas bubbling through keg #1 will strip out some of the head forming proteins. Is it enough to make a difference? I don't know.

How come a carbing stone doesn't strip proteins?

My method is to chill my beer for 24 hours. Put on at 35 psi, shake keg for 60 seconds, then let sit at 35 psi overnight. Next day purge, set gas to serving pressure, and check the carb level. Has worked everytime so far.

Above all else, chill that beer if you want it carbed fast.

I've used priming sugar in my last 2 kegs and they were nicely carbed after 10 days- much better than my attempts at forced carbing.
2 days-force it.
10 days- prime and let nature do the work.

It takes 8 minutes to carb a keg
1. Cool keg
2. Set manifold to 30 psi
3. Attach to gas in
4. Tip keg on side of gas in so that it bubbles.
5. Role 1/4 turn back and forth
6. Do this for 6 to 10 min depending on how much carbonation you want.
7. Let sit in fridge for a day or two to vent carbolic acid. (I put about 10 psi and vent regularly)
8. Serve perfectly carbonated beer (really it works, I do it all the time). If you happen to over carb just vent often and it will work itself out.

barmyarmy said:
It takes 8 minutes to carb a keg
1. Cool keg
2. Set manifold to 30 psi
3. Attach to gas in
4. Tip keg on side of gas in so that it bubbles.
5. Role 1/4 turn back and forth
6. Do this for 6 to 10 min depending on how much carbonation you want.
7. Let sit in fridge for a day or two to vent carbolic acid. (I put about 10 psi and vent regularly)
8. Serve perfectly carbonated beer (really it works, I do it all the time). If you happen to over carb just vent often and it will work itself out.

That sound interesting! Ill try it in a week when I start my keezer!

Latest posts

Back