The Taylor Perry

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qwasert

Reaction score
Im calling this one the Taylor Perry because its the name of my brother in law who comented that it is a good name "perry"

I picked about 100 lbs of pears off my father in law's tree and juiced them. I got about 5 gallons of juice. I put the juice in the brew pot and heated to 160 to kill off the wild yeast. Also added 2 lbs of brown sugar to increase the ABV. It is in an ice bath now and then ill add the yeast in the primary. Red Star Premier Cuvee, active dry wine yeast. I dont know what the OG reading is yet.

I have been told that heating the juice will wreck the flavor but Ive also heard that campdon tablets give a flavor also. So I decided to go with heat as apposed to adding tabs. The juice has a great flavor pre fermentation with that slight hint of molasas from the brown sugar.

Tell me what you think, heat or campdon tabs. How long does a perry need to age. Bottles and caps, or wine bottles and corks? Let it age in the carboy or in the bottles, does it even make a difference? This is my first perry Im getting pretty good at making beer.

Campden only gives a flavor while it is there but it quickly dissipates and it prevents browning of the juice as another benefit. In fact I would still add it for this reason even now that you have heat pasteurized it.

It is a very modern idea to think you have to do either. For thousands of years perfectly good cider, perry and wine were made with just the natural yeasts, and if yeast is added there is even less reason to treat the juice. lots of people today, even large wineries, don't treat their juice These days people are obsessed with germs and hygiene so think everything has to be sterilised, now we find it is causing all sorts of allergies because we can't develop antibodies properly. Camden tablets in primary are a precaution but far from necessary, they are much more important in secondary.

On the other hand, pear juice doesn't have much flavour anyway, so heating it is unlikely to cause a problem.

I like the name, it reminds me of Tyler Perry. Larger cider makers were also vinegar makers, so whenever a batch went wrong they would allow it to turn into vinegar. Personally, I wouldn’t go through the laborious process of making a 5 gallon batch of cider and risk having it spoil because I didn’t spend a couple of bucks on campden or pectic enzyme.

I decided to pasturize because I don't agree with the old sayind that they didn't do it in the old days. I want controll over the yeast and be sanitary just incase I want to reproduce the same batch exactly. And whats with saying that we have a weaker imune system because of pasturization? Sounds like a bunch of crap, what's wrong with being modern? My motto better safe than sorry! By the way pear juice does have a lot of flavor, I don't know where you buy your juice but fresh is great! I'm still open to any and all suggestions as long as you don't preach about antibodies.

I apologise for the rant, thats what you get with the internet.
I would just suggest a basic yeast, acouple tablespoons acid blend and maybe some tannin. It should come out fine.

Thanks Greg, I have never heard acid blend what does that do and should I add tannin and acid blend into the secondary? Will this help the wine mellow out and age better?

You can use tartaric acid or cream of tarter, basically the same thing, it lowers the pH and gives a sharper taste,pears are very low in acidity. you can add acid anytime, not sure about tannin but I think you can add it in secondary.

Can I add cream of tarter to my cider also? How much should I add per gallon? What will acid do if I add that? I havent herd of that before. Do you know of any articles I can read up on? Thanks for being patient with me on this one, I appreciate your suggestions.

Actually I never used cream of tartar, I always use tartaric acid which is available at places like health food shops. Wineries use tartaric acid to lower pH, if you don't know what your pH is its a bit of a guess but 1 teaspoon per gallon should help.
Having a lower pH makes the whole operation safer, better ferment and better storage, may improve the taste a little.

Back