Fruit starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtian

Reaction score
A buddy and I made a Berliner Weisse last October and though clean it is not sour at all. We used the Berliner Weisse yeast from White Labs. In retrospect, I think we should have used Lacto then pitched Euro ale yeast later after a week or so. We were thinking of buying two cans of pureed fruit (maybe apricot) putting the cans in a separate carboy with a vile of lacto for a few weeks then adding it to the Berliner to try to sour it up. Would this work and will the lacto go after the fruit puree? Thanks for the input.

The lacto will go after simple sugars. However, when you blend it, you will dilute the sourness.

Did you have any hops in your BW? That can inhibit Lacto.

I've seen too many threads about people failing with these BW blends, that I always sour with Lacto before adding yeast.

thanks for that. my buddy bought two cans of pureed fruit from more beer yesterday and pitched a vile of lacto into it. He was worried about the high viscosity so diluted it with a bit of boiled water. Unfortunately no heater/fermwrap for the carboy so it is going at ambient temp in his house probably 65 or a little warmer, we live in SoCal. Any other hints?

Well as you are aware lacto likes 120-90 degrees so you may not get favorable results at 65. Try immersing it in a hot water bath to raise the temps. Or buy a ferm wrap pretty sure they are cheaper than the money you spent on two can of purée and a vial of lacto

Latest posts

Back