Evaluation of my first brew....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TxSpyderBrew

Reaction score
I brewed the BB- Steam Syle kit, here are the stats.

6.6 lbs. Plain Light malt Extract
8oz crushed crystal malt 20L
1oz cascade hops(45 min)
1oz cascade hops(15min)
1 package of whatever yeast was is the box
coopers carb. drops for priming

S.G. - 1.05
E.G. - 1.012

I know everyone said to do the 1-2-3 system but i did a week in primary, another in secondary. and so far its a week and a half in bottles.

I popped a bottle yesterday and it looks amazing. It is a lot clearer than i thought it would be, not a lot of carbonation i know its a little early for it to be fully carbed.

The only thing is that it is sweet... like candy sweet...... it tasted the somewhat sweet when i racked it to secondary and when i bottled it but now its been in the bottle for a while its gotten sweeter.

the only thing i can think of why it is so sweet is the carb drops......

Or its probly fine and im just worying.... that makes more sence.:drunk:

why is it everyone wants to RUSH/USE a secondary?

just leave it be in the primary

hey that ryhmes

should be 4 weeks primary 3 weeks bottle

I prefer to use a secondary for my beers, but I make the primary to secondary move based upon specific gravity. When you are at or within a few points of your anticipated FG, move it over then. When the yeast still have some work ahead of them, don't move it over yet :)

At a FG of 1.012, it shouldn't taste sweet. I'm guessing it's the carb drops, not fully fermented out yet. Give it some time- it should get better in a couple of weeks!

If it tasted a bit sweet when you racked it, was the FG 1.012 then? That's unusual, unless the beer is underhopped. Do you recall what the % was on the hops? (I don't really think that's the problem, I'm just thinking about why it might taste sweet at 1.012)

why is it everyone wants to RUSH/USE a secondary?

just leave it be in the primary

hey that ryhmes

should be 4 weeks primary 3 weeks bottle

I blame all the beginners kits that come with primaries and secondaries. No one wants to have a piece of equipment that sits in the closet not being used. Put some apfelwein in that sucker instead!

All good points- but let's stay on-topic, ok? The OP asked about the sweet taste of his bottled beer, not about primary vs. secondary. It's already in the bottle, so it's too late to change it for this batch.

Back