Pellicle Photo Collection

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is that black stuff in there??

Cat turds. Really brings out the viscosity and helps improves "hipster" rating of the beer since sour beers are sooooo last year

:D

The black is just the reflection of the beer under the pellicle that you can see.

But seriously, cat turds.

IMG_20140205_075234_332_zpsi5djkcxk.jpg

5 month old lambic, top left in the better bottle.
the 3 one gallon guys are left over wort that i tossed a saved slurry of oud bruin into that are around 7-8 months old

Through the neck!

IMG_20140205_075253_661_zpst7aas7tm.jpg

IMG_20140205_075248_212_zps043wbem0.jpg

I have seven with sours right now. You have to be willing to dedicate a lot of fermenters if you want to get a decent pipeline going. I should be adding four more in the next week or so.

This was my MoreBeer Consecration kit at about 14 months in the secondary.
Followed their schedule with Abbey Ale II, the Roselare. New Consecration kit ordered this morning, next up BugCountry start to finish.

The little nuggets are the black currants... or their remains!

i'm currently at 3, not counting 1-gallon jugs... definitely need more.

someone needs to develop a "super brett" and "super pedio" that can get the job done in less than a year. on second thought, scratch that. those bugs would invariably rise up and enslave us. and we'd be happy about it.

You can dedicate 4 carboys to sours? Impressive sir!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Those are just the ones that had some sort of pellicle forming. I have another 3 that are either in glass and haven't formed a pellicle or that are still very young and haven't formed one.

Here is a little pellicle inside of a bottle of Vieille from Crooked Stave. Drank this and put starter wort directly into the bottle with the dregs. Grew up a nice little colony.

Saw this pellicle form after about 2 weeks then drop out after another week or two.

Didn't get a chance to take a pic of the pellicle it formed on a 1gallon wee heavy I soured with the yeast grown from this bottle (it was very similar).

It ripped through that wee heavy and gave me the character I was after in just 8 weeks. No idea what the mix is in Vieille, but it's a monster.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392509706.864540.jpg

First good looking pellicle for me. This is on a Berliner Weisse I did cultured up from 3 different 1 pint starters made with 1 cup crushed grain and 1 cup hot water that I let sit for a week. Pitched the liquid from all 3 into 10 gallons of no-boil berliner and 2 weeks into primary already have this beast. Going to move it to secondary this week and let it sour up for a while.

WP_20140216_003.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1392826334.915581.jpg
Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?
This is a ryebic I made in the weekend, Belgian sour mix and Brett. lambicus. The wort looked turbid but normal when I pitched the yeast, but now it looks like all the turbid stuff has gathered in a cloud in the middle of the carboy and the rest of the wort (crystal clear) surrounds it...
Any ideas? Should I worry?

View attachment 180540
This is a ryebic I made in the weekend, Belgian sour mix and Brett. lambicus. The wort looked turbid but normal when I pitched the yeast, but now it looks like all the turbid stuff has gathered in a cloud in the middle of the carboy and the rest of the wort (crystal clear) surrounds it...

As a newb to sour homebrewing I would guess that is from the Pedio, it gets all ropey then settles out after a while, i wouldn't worry.

I've brewed sours before, but then the pedio took longer time to act up. I'm guessing it is trub.

View attachment 180540

I 2 ten gallon batches do the same thing. I was using 2 Whirlfloc tabs in it. Im guessing the glob came from that. Last 10 gallon batch I did I only used one and no weird protein

View attachment 180540

That looks like a protein blob to me.

One of my new favorite threads! Berliner Weisse. First pic is day 2 on WLP677, second pic is day 125ish. Not sour at all around 30 days in, haven't checked since.

2013-10-16 17.17.15.jpg

2014-02-08 01.21.48.jpg

I meant this link. Anyone else have troubles with it?

It's on Facebook. Possible one needs an account to see? Or "Like" East a Coast Yeast. This it what it says:

Releasing a few things for the HB crowd. ECY-03 and ECY-03B (the B stands for brett only). That's right, another round of that "spooky" brett only in pitchable quantity. To get the most in quick fashion using this brett or Saison blend, simply add another dose of the brett once fermentation starts. the result will be instant acidity and funk. Also adding priming sugar after completion of fermentation displays a similar reaction. Aeration has more of a muted effect with this brett strain.

Also releasing a small quantity of ECY06 Berliner blend and Saison ECY08.

Another note: Remember to add extra ice during transit if you are ordering from a store online. Some reports of bottles leaking are really due to warm temperatures and time away from being chilled properly. The contents are rinsed as much as possible to remove residual sugars that may be present to help prevent bloating and leaking. If kept cold, the bottles are fine. You can't blame the little buggers wanting out to get at your sweet wort.

Latest posts

Back