Accidentally spilled half of my yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrakeSuperbus

Reaction score
I was pitching a vial of White labs 550 (belgian ale) into 5 gallons of 1.070 wort when I slipped and spilled half of it. I was already underpitching because I didn't have time to get a starter going, but now I am horribly underpitched. Normally I would run out and buy another vial, but I brewed last night after my LHBS closed, and they are not open today or tomorrow. The earliest I can get new yeast into my brew is after work on Tuesday, 72+ hours after pitching the original yeast.

I was doing some research on my own this morning, and have read that underpitching belgian yeast may actually give my brew some of the more characteristic belgian flavors. However, I have also read that doing so with high gravity brews can lead to problems with attenuation.

So I am left with a dilemma. Do I:

1 - RDWHAHB and see what happens.

2 - Throw the fermenter in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep, and bring it out and repitch on tuesday.

3 - Let it go for now and add new yeast on tuesday.

DrakeSuperbus said:
I was pitching a vial of White labs 550 (belgian ale) into 5 gallons of 1.070 wort when I slipped and spilled half of it. I was already underpitching because I didn't have time to get a starter going, but now I am horribly underpitched. Normally I would run out and buy another vial, but I brewed last night after my LHBS closed, and they are not open today or tomorrow. The earliest I can get new yeast into my brew is after work on Tuesday, 72+ hours after pitching the original yeast.

I was doing some research on my own this morning, and have read that underpitching belgian yeast may actually give my brew some of the more characteristic belgian flavors. However, I have also read that doing so with high gravity brews can lead to problems with attenuation.

So I am left with a dilemma. Do I:

1 - RDWHAHB and see what happens.

2 - Throw the fermenter in the fridge to put the yeast to sleep, and bring it out and repitch on tuesday.

3 - Let it go for now and add new yeast on tuesday.

Alex, I'll take #3 for $200.00 please:)

Back