Coffee Porter help... Or is it too late?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GravyTrain77

Reaction score
Made the peacekeeper coffee Porter from Midwest. Did 2 in primary, added coffee and did 2 more in secondary. Don't have any readings since people seem to agree that the kits are straight forward.

Anyhow it has been bottled for 4 weeks and the beer is very carbonated. I was expecting it to be a much more mellow creamy carbonation... Is it too late to fix this or can I make something work? If not any cooking suggestions?

Not sure you can do much with it post-bottling, but give it time. I've found that if I can leave a beer (especially a darker one) for 2-3 months post-bottling that I get my best flavors.

Do you think time will mellow out the carbonation? I've just been blindly following the directions assuming midwest has a grip on what needs to happen. In the future should I add less sugar to the beer before bottling for less carb?

Most kits just give a generic 4 oz or 6 oz of dextrose per 5 gallon batch. They don't compensate for brew style.

If you want more fine grained control, you'll need to determine how many volumes of CO2 you want using a chart, then run that and the fermentation temperature through a calculator.

http://www.tastybrew.com/calculators/priming.html

2.1 volumes in 5 gallons fermented at 70F would be 3.4 oz dextrose to bulk prime with. That's as close as I can get you without having your numbers.

That is pretty annoying... teaches me for the blind faith I put in the instruction sheet.

Anyone have a good cooking recipe for a super bubbly coffee porter?

That is pretty annoying... teaches me for the blind faith I put in the instruction sheet.

Anyone have a good cooking recipe for a super bubbly coffee porter?

Sure.

Uncap super bubbly porter. Leave uncapped for 1 minute. Re-cap less bubbly porter. Wait 1 day.

Converts super-bubbly porter into reasonably bubbly porter. Cost is about 3 cents per bottle. :)

Did you make sure to keep it in the fridge for a few days? This has had a big effect on my brews. Carbonation seems completely different after an hour in the freezer plus a few in the fridge (impatience mode) vs a week in the fridge (patience mode).

Did you make sure to keep it in the fridge for a few days? This has had a big effect on my brews. Carbonation seems completely different after an hour in the freezer plus a few in the fridge (impatience mode) vs a week in the fridge (patience mode).

I have kept them in the fridge for up to a week. Probably going to put them in a closet and forget about them for a bit.

Back