Conicals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akthor

Reaction score
Why conicals? Is it just for yeast harvesting. I have been looking at conicals for awhile but recently found a good source for 15 gallon fermenters that are about 1/3 the price of a plastic 15 gallon conical, doesn't need a stand, and is airtight so I can use CO2 to pump the wort into the kegs. So I am rethinking my want of conicals so I was wondering what the benefits of conicals are?

It all boils down to this: If you want to have a conical fermenter and have the scratch to do so, go out and buy one. It will work just fine. If you don't, you can ferment in a Sanke keg, plastic bucket or for that matter you can cut off and hollow out your ball sack and ferment in it. The moral of the story is: whatever floats your boat.

(legal disclaimer: fermenting in a hollowed out ball sack may lead to lactobascilicus infections in your beer...assuming you've had a peice within few days prior)

(legal disclaimer: fermenting in a hollowed out ball sack may lead to lactobascilicus infections in your beer...assuming you've had a peice within few days prior)

Man, talk about your beer having a nutty taste! I'm thinking this would be more like giving yourself an intentional yeast infection.

Latest posts

Back