Hops Direct Order

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iXanadu

Reaction score
Hi,

I just ordered 8lb of hops from Hops Direct, Cherries Direct - available today from Puterbaugh Farms and left the default shipping to UPS ground. They don't calculate shipping on the order form, so I thought they would contact me with shipping price and delivery times. I got my ups tracking number today (no communication about shipping prices/options....) and its going to take 10-11 days for the order to travel from WA to VA.

What affect will 10 days in a UPS truck have on my hops? I brew a couple 10 gallon batches a month so these need to last me a while. I ordered 8lbs for variety, not volume.

I ordered 50 pounds from them a couple weeks back... just call them in the future, they will tell you what shipping will be in a matter of 60 seconds on the phone. They have excellent customer service.

Thier shipping gets better as the volume goes up. Probably about 15-17 bucks in your case... got 50 pounds shipped for about $43.

The travel time will have no affect on your hops, they are vaccuum sealed in nitrogen purged bags.

I would bet the shipping will be around $12-15, but they will have a reciept in the box. They come in nitrogen flushed bags so the few days at elevated temps shouldn't have much of an effect on them.

I ordered 12lbs of pellet hops from them last week. Shipping to TX was $14.58 - made it in less than a week perfectly packed and in great shape.

Only way to get them much fresher than Hops Direct is to grow them yourself. Even at the LHBS, they sit on a truck somewhere for several days on the way to the store.

I ordered 12lbs of pellet hops from them last week. Shipping to TX was $14.58 - made it in less than a week perfectly packed and in great shape.

I see the group buy was a success!!

I've never had an issue with the 7 day delivery times from WA to OH. I ordered 5# a couple days ago and they'll be here on Wednesday. I agree that their customer service is top notch. I always call to get shipping costs before I place the order - I was $13 to OH.

5# of hops coming in an 8# package. I'm guessing that's at least an extra pound of hops. I love that place.

Oh and in case anyone hasn't been there lately, they have Willamette leaf at $13/# ($.81/oz) and Willamette pellets at $10.50/# ($.65/oz).

Yah we saw about 5 pounds of overage on our order.

Thier service is TOP notch. People shy away from places that dont tell you the shipping cost at checkout... but Puterbaugh doesnt know how many boxes or what size of box an order will take. SO CALL FOR A QUOTE... I called for about 6 quotes, they were really gracious.

Fast, well-packed shipping seems to be what they do best. My 4# order arrived within 5 days of being placed (of course, I'm just in Portland), and went right into the freezer.

If you have a FoodSaver or Seal-A-Meal, get the mason jar lid attachment, then pop the leftovers into jars after you first open the nitrogen bags. Store the sealed jar in the freezer - then you'll always have fresh hops. It turns a bulk hop buy into the best investment ever!

Fast, well-packed shipping seems to be what they do best. My 4# order arrived within 5 days of being placed (of course, I'm just in Portland), and went right into the freezer.

If you have a FoodSaver or Seal-A-Meal, get the mason jar lid attachment, then pop the leftovers into jars after you first open the nitrogen bags. Store the sealed jar in the freezer - then you'll always have fresh hops. It turns a bulk hop buy into the best investment ever!

I easily saved $240 on hops by getting them at Puterbaugh... $1.04 an ounce SHIPPED for 14 varieities.

My FoodSaver cost me $60 with a coupon code in the spring.

If I don't have enough room in the freezer, will the hops be ok at room temp if their vacuum sealed? How long will they last in this condition?

They'll be ok, but they won't retain the traits as long if they're not frozen. You may be good for 3 months or so if storing them at room temperature, but I don't know for certain, I'm just guessing.

Freezer+FoodSaver+Hops=WIN

When I spoke with their customer service, they offered to cancel the order and allow me to do the order over and specify 2 or 3 day shipping. This was even after they knew the order was enroute and that they would have to trust me to return it. They just wanted me happy. Based on the information on this thread - I decided to accept the order. I'll split and vacuum seal 1 oz packages as I open the nitro-bag.

The savings was significant as I pay $3.49 per oz here. Thanks for all the feed back.

I ordered 50 pounds from them a couple weeks back... just call them in the future, they will tell you what shipping will be in a matter of 60 seconds on the phone. They have excellent customer service.

Thier shipping gets better as the volume goes up. Probably about 15-17 bucks in your case... got 50 pounds shipped for about $43.

The travel time will have no affect on your hops, they are vaccuum sealed in nitrogen purged bags.

FIFTY POUNDS? I'm pretty new to brewing, and have always got mine in kits by the ounce....I'm assuming this is a group buy, or hops last in the package (freezer?) a lot longer than I thought. The other possibility of course, is that someone's making a whole heck of a lot more than the 200 gallons per year allowed by the Fed........and we know that can't be true. :)

FIFTY POUNDS? I'm pretty new to brewing, and have always got mine in kits by the ounce....I'm assuming this is a group buy, or hops last in the package (freezer?) a lot longer than I thought. The other possibility of course, is that someone's making a whole heck of a lot more than the 200 gallons per year allowed by the Fed........and we know that can't be true. :)

My haul was around 7.5 pounds, to add to the 3.0 pounds that I already had. But for $1.05 an ounce, why not?

<daffy duck>I can't help it. I'm a greedy slob. It's my hobby. Save me!
</daffy>

Item 01: 1 each HAMAP1 Amarillo Pellet Hops: 1 lb. $ 30.00
Item 02: 1 each HCASP1 Cascade Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 24.00
Item 03: 1 each HCOLP1 Columbus Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 31.00
Item 04: 1 each HCEP1 Centennial Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 25.00
Item 05: 1 each HMALU1 Magnum (US) Pellets: 1 lb. $ 24.00
Item 06: 1 each HNUGP1 Nugget Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 31.00
Item 07: 1 each HWILP1 Willamette Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 28.00
Item 08: 1 each HFUGP1 Fuggle Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 29.50
Item 09: 1 each HGALP1 Galena Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 31.00
Item 01: 1 each HCRP1 Crystal Pelleted Hops 1 lb. $ 17.50
Item 02: 1 each HCHINP1 Chinook Pellet Hops 1 lb. $ 18.50