Skipped protein rest on Wit and supplemented with wheat DME. What am I in for?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtron

Reaction score
So after reading a bunch of people saying that a protein rest isn't need for flaked wheat, I brewed a Wit that is 50% flaked wheat without one. I took a refractometer reading pre-boil and noticed my gravity was way low. I added 1lb of wheat DME to get my gravity up.

After doing some more reading, I see that a protein rest is required if my flaked wheat is >25% of the grain bill. So, what should I expect with my brew? Recipe is below.

4.5lbs Flaked wheat
4.5lbs Pale 2-row
1lb Wheat DME

1oz EKG 60min
0.75oz bitter orange 5min
0.75oz coriander 5min

Single infusion, step temp = 156.

What should you expect? Poison. Deadly, deadly poison. ;)

The protein rest can help with haze and is necessary to keep efficiency high in some beers. Haze isn't a problem in a wit, and it doesn't sound like you had any efficiency problems. In other words, no worries. :mug:

What should you expect? Poison. Deadly, deadly poison. ;)

The protein rest can help with haze and is necessary to keep efficiency high in some beers. Haze isn't a problem in a wit, and it doesn't sound like you had any efficiency problems. In other words, no worries. :mug:

I did have efficiency problems (60%), which is why I added the DME to compensate.

I'm not too worried, it will be beer. I was just wondering how much different it would have been with the rest and no DME. It sounds as though it shouldn't have much impact on flavor.

I did have efficiency problems (60%), which is why I added the DME to compensate.

I'm not too worried, it will be beer. I was just wondering how much different it would have been with the rest and no DME. It sounds as though it shouldn't have much impact on flavor.

Nope, not really. Protein rests can impact the body a bit, too, but I suspect you'll have something delicious in any case.

This is just my opinion but i think that wheat dme may have saved it. In my experience flaked wheat does not add much in the way of flavor its more for head retention and body. You would have been better using 4.5# of a malted wheat and mabe .5 to 1# of flaked wheat.

Can someone explain to me how a protein rest would increase efficiency? (Honest question). Has it to do with beta-amylase works better at protein rest temps and helps to break down the more complex carbs that alpha-amylase could not ordinarily chop up when they are active?

I also wonder about low efficiency with that high of a mash temp. It seems the enzymes would denature faster and maybe before conversion is complete...but I've done plenty of mashes around 155 or so that have gone okay...

Just curious what your OG was? At 60% efficiency I'm guessing somewhere near 1.044? You'll still have a tasty brew!

I have never done a protein rest and still get great efficiencies. The only reason I ever would consider doing a protein rest would be to clear my beer, and since you are making a wit, there's no reason for that.

Can someone explain to me how a protein rest would increase efficiency? (Honest question). Has it to do with beta-amylase works better at protein rest temps and helps to break down the more complex carbs that alpha-amylase could not ordinarily chop up when they are active?

The endosperm is formed by a matrix of complex starch and protein molecules. In unmodified (or less modified) grains like the OP's flaked wheat, a protein rest helps to break up the endosperm to give amylase access to the sugars.

I also wonder about low efficiency with that high of a mash temp. It seems the enzymes would denature faster and maybe before conversion is complete...but I've done plenty of mashes around 155 or so that have gone okay...

Just curious what your OG was? At 60% efficiency I'm guessing somewhere near 1.044? You'll still have a tasty brew!

I ended up at 1.046 (it was actually closer to 62%).

I'll be able to find out how tasty it is soon, since it already looks fully attenuated :eek:. If it's really done, I'll be able to keg this weekend.

Back