Stone Ruination IPA..........is very weak....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S.T. Out

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I just tried Ruination IPA and found it to be quite weak. I was a little dissapointed actually. I compared it to another IPA (8%) I have in my current keg which was brewed by a friend. When you take a sip of the IPA I have and then try Ruination, the Ruination was actually ruined by this other IPA. The hops are so strong in my friends IPA that you are left with a bitter taste in your mouth for a very long time after trying it. The hops cut right through your palate with absolutely no mercy.

Stone touts their Ruination IPA as having 100+ IBUs. Is this a lot? How high can you go with the IBUs before its just a hop extract? 150? 200? 300? I'm guessing if Stones really is 100+ then what I have must be like 200 IBUs (possible maybe?).

I am still just suprised because this Ruination was like watered down weak ass beer after drinking the IPA I have. I'll have to ask my friend for the recipe.

~S.T. Out

I love the Ruination! Some of my friends have reported intesinal distress after drinking so much...be careful!

I think it is a damn fine IPA....a lot of people believe good IPAs have to have a super smack in the face bitterness to them with no regard to complexity, I tend to disagree. I love hoppy beers but many homebrewers just cram a ton of hops in to a standard pale recipe thinking that's what makes a good IPA. I disagree with that too ;)

That being said the regular stone IPA is pretty damn good IMO, the Ruination is a good variation toward a double IPA.

I favor the regular Stone IPA over the Ruination IPA. jmtc

Back