Transfering to secondary fermentor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake_Allen

Reaction score
I have a gallon of wheat beer currently fermenting in the primary fermentor. Is there a general time line to transfer wheat beers (or 1 gallon batches) to the secondary fermentor?

I have a gallon of wheat beer currently fermenting in the primary fermentor. Is there a general time line to transfer wheat beers (or 1 gallon batches) to the secondary fermentor?

There is plenty of opinions of this subject. Many people just leave it in primary for three weeks. Many transfer to secondary. All really depends on your preference.

I typically leave anything in Primary until you see the fermentation slow. During the first couple days, you should visibly see your airlock bubbling every 2 or 3 seconds. Once that slows to every 20-30 seconds, I assume most of my yeast is dead, and I transfer to a secondary for a few more weeks (until consistent readings 2 consecutive days)

I typically leave anything in Primary until you see the fermentation slow. During the first couple days, you should visibly see your airlock bubbling every 2 or 3 seconds. Once that slows to every 20-30 seconds, I assume most of my yeast is dead, and I transfer to a secondary for a few more weeks (until consistent readings 2 consecutive days)

Your yeast isn't dead, it's dormant. Why do you use a secondary?

It's wheat beer, it is not supposed to be crystal clear and it is meant to be consumed fresh! Allow it to ferment and flocculate, total time maybe 10-14 days and package it! My wheat beers are grain to glass in 21 days carbonated and ready to drink.

Cheers!

For most beers, I don't use a bright tank ("secondary") although there are some that I do. I would not bother transferring to a clearing vessel if I was making a 1 gallon batch of wheat beer. First, because it's a wheat beer it will have a haze anyway, and secondly because it wouldn't be worth it to do so for only a 1 gallon batch of beer that is best consumed fresh.

I'd leave it where it is for 10-14 days, and much of the yeast sediment has dropped out, and then bottle it.

I do it to get rid of the dormant yeast that becomes trub. It keeps a cleaner, fresher beer without the dormant yeast giving too many off-flavors.

That's true if you go a long time in the fermenter- but not in the week or two that we're talking about. Healthy yeast won't cause autolysis flavors in a small batch at the homebrew level in such a short period of time. I go up to three weeks before transferring some ales, although my preference is about day 14. Others go much longer, and prefer that.

I do it to get rid of the dormant yeast that becomes trub. It keeps a cleaner, fresher beer without the dormant yeast giving too many off-flavors.

You can sit on trub for several weeks before worrying about the possible off flavors, and in many situations several months. There's more benefit sitting on the yeast bed than rushing to get it to secondary. The "dead" yeast are still working and doing wonderful things for your beer, you don't need to worry about it especially for a hazy wheat beer. Secondary helps clear the beer which I don't imagine is a concern for the OP. The only other reasons to secondary are extended aging with dry hops, wood, coffee whatever...and you start to approach that timeline of over a month. Don't worry and don't mess with nature.

Good to know!

I guess I must have read something early on that said you'll get a more clear beer and no chance of off-flavors if you transfer to a secondary. It's so easy to do, that we decided we would just do it on everything.

I know I said after a couple days, but honestly it probably is usually a couple weeks before I get around to transferring :)

I know I said after a couple days, but honestly it probably is usually a couple weeks before I get around to transferring :)

After a couple of weeks, I can't see any advantage to racking to a clearing vessel. The beer should be pretty clear by then, and packaged. It's just a step that isn't helpful, although if it's done carefully and in a sanitary manner, it won't hurt.

Back