Consistency while harvesting Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kuruts

Reaction score
I just recently started fermenting in a conical fermenter. I am trying to collect some trub from the fermenters after about 4 days. The consistency is more like milk than cream, the temp is 68 and I have not cold crashed yet. Am I collecting to early? How long should I wait to collect, then how often?

Has anyone witnessed this before?

Hi Kuruts, I don't have a fancy conical fermenter ;) so can't really speak to your exact situation but I do know that when I use different yeasts, they have differing consistencies. Some form a more solid, compact bed and others are more goopy and runny. So it might be the yeast strain.

TY Gentlemen, just not sure, I've only seen commercial brewers harvest yeast from a conical and it was like whipped butter so I thought I was doing something wrong. Going to let it settle a few more days and see if there are any changes.

There are a lot of different thoughts on how long to wait to harvest yeast. I personally would wait at least a week or two into fermentation. You will pull some trub with it, then just wash the yeast (a good tutorial found on this site). If washed well, most of your yeast will settle as a light tan with even consistency and look like a very fine powder. Out of your typical 5 gal. batch you should get enough washed yeast for at least 2-3 more batches. (That has been my experience anyway)

Good luck!

From Wyeast Website - Yeast Harvesting / Re-Pitching
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com-yeast-harvest.cfm

When Yeast Should be Harvested

The timing of cropping will have effects on the quality and density of the slurry. Consistent timing of harvest will help maintain the desired characteristics of the culture.

* Cylindroconical and Dish Bottom Vessels (Bottom Cropping): Yeast should be harvested once the temperature has dropped below 40°F (4°C) and trub has been discharged. This will insure a large yield of clean, homogenous slurry.
* Open Vessels (Top Cropping): Yeast can be harvested once the gravity has dropped below 50% of original gravity. First head will rise approximately 24-36 hours into fermentation. Discard 1st skim (“dirt skim”). A clean, 2nd head will rise which can be harvested with a 2nd skim.

Back