a question about Apfelwein

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tielson's

Reaction score
This sunday I am going to try 2 five gallon jugs of this. my question is how long should i let it ferment. I keep hearing different fermenting times. some say 4 weeks, some say 2 months and someone said 11 months???? any help would be great thanks.

Follow the basic recipe: 4 weeks in the primary fermenter then bottle. I think your confusion may come from recommendations that the Apfelwein be allowed to condition in the bottle for 8+ months, which apparently mellows the wine and brings out more apple flavors. I've only just started drinking my first batch and, while I like it alot, I understand how it could improve over time.

4 to 6 weeks is the target for the apfelwein fermentation. The variation between 4 and 6 depends on temps, if you made modifications to the recipie and so on and so forth.

After the fermentation you can force carb it and drink it, bottle it then let it condition or drink it immediately "still".

What deharris said is true though, apfelwein improves with age and EdWort is of the opinion that after 8 months of conditioning is it's peak. I personally haven't gotten past 2 months but I'm stocking up in hopes of discovering the truth. I'm sure I'll be communing with God after my next three batches finish :drunk:

Basic rule is the longer you let it sit, the better it is. It is drinkable after about 4, but better with some more time. I let all of my batches go 2 months.

Fermentation takes 4-6 weeks depending on temp and any modifications. Then some people let it sit a little longer to clear and/or age. I personally let my ferment for 1 month, then rack it and let it clear completely for a second month.

And can tell when its ready to bottle when the gravity is stable?

What is "racking"? I know you do it after fermentation, but I can't tell what exactly it is.

Racking is siphoning the beer/wine/mead/cider into another container. It's done with a racking cane (or autosiphon) so you don't bring up the sediment from the first container, and then the tip of the tubing is placed on the bottom of the receiving container so that it's siphoned quietly without splashing at all. You don't want to splash or stir or pour your wine/cider/beer because it will oxidize easily if exposed to air.

Its plenty tasty after a week in bottles, but more time is always good :)

try doing each batch a little differently....do the first the regular way, then try the weihenstephan yeast.....I think you'll be surprised! A month will be fine for fermentatation.

Back