When to bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave47

Reaction score
I added some sodium metabisulfite to one gallon of cider and added some Apple juice concentrate to sweeten it. Now it has a nasty sulfur smell/taste to it from the sodium metabisulfite. If/when the sulfur dies down, when can I bottle it? Did I ruin it?

Sulfite by itself doesn't always inhibit yeast. I would recommend using sorbate along with it.

How much sulfite did you use? You shouldn't smell or taste it.

Um, I don't think 1 tsp is equal to 1 campden. 1 tsp of bisulfate SOLUTION is equal to one campden. That means that you add 1 tsp of it to 1 gallon of water, and then add 1 teaspoon of that solution to your cider.

You should use 1/4 tsp per 5 gallons if you're using powder.

So, you've overdosed it to the point of being undrinkable. What I would do now is some "splash racking". Vigorously siphon your cider to a different container, about 3-5 times, while splashing down the sides of the container. This should help alot. No way should you even consider bottling this until you get rid of most of the sulfite and after that maybe add some sorbate before sweetening.

Ha ha well looks like I messed this up. At 1/4 tsp. per 5 gallons I think I put about 20x too much in. :p
Oh well it was only one gallon and it was my first try, atleast I've got 5 gallons of Apfelwein that's almost done that I won't be messing with. So much for reading the package correctly, I'm terrible at that. Thanks for the help, I'll try splash racking it to see if I can improve it.

Back