Arg!!!!! Hops clogging a very good IPA!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skrimpy

Reaction score
So I did something very stupid. I had heard of people dry hopping in the keg when they ran out of time and didn't get to do a secondary. So I thought what the hell and went for it. Two weeks later, I went to pour and, pfzzzzth. A little foam and then nothing with the tube full of hops. Dumb. Ass. So, I let it settle for a couple weeks thinking, well, Ill just rack to a new keg. Did this last night and poured one beer. It's GREAT! I just went to pour myself another beer and pfzzzzth. A little foam and the tube full of hops yet again. I thought I had gotten all of them but apparently not. I'm NOT going to re-rack this stupid thing every time I want a beer. Anyone got any suggestions besides throwing away the batch? Ill be really upset because I just tossed a batch of stout and a keg because it got full of some kind of mold....and it smelled like rubber. ARGGGGGG!!! Help!

did you use leaf or pellet? Maybe take the stem out, put a scrubbie on the end, and put it back? If you're going to do this more often you may want to shorten the stem a bit as well.

How careful were you when you racked it to the second keg? If the keg was cold for those two weeks, all the hops should've theoretically dropped out of suspension.

I had the same problem with a pale ale I kegged - I had dry hopped in secondary but had a problem racking to the keg and ended up with quite a bit of pellet hop residue in the keg. I had to rig up my CO2 line to a beer out disconnect, then backflush the keg dip tube to get the flow restarted. After doing this 3 or 4 times, I got most of the hop residue out and the rest of it cleared without clogging again within the next 4 or 5 pints.
Note - before connecting to the keg, vent the keg pressure to avoid getting beer into your regulator.

outside92129 said:
did you use leaf or pellet? Maybe take the stem out, put a scrubbie on the end, and put it back? If you're going to do this more often you may want to shorten the stem a bit as well.

It was pellet. The second I dropped it in, I thought, "Oh crap, I should have put that in a sock.". Lesson learned. Ive got a biab sack I'm going to boil and put over the end of my autosiphon then try to rack again. Then I guess Ill try one of those dip tube hop screens next. I know one thing for sure though. Never going to do that again.

Back