Dry hop in the Primary or Secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyWash1

Reaction score
I'm still a huge noob so bare with me, please. The first couple brews I made I dry hopped with whole leafs in the primary. Now I'm reading that dry hopping is in the secondary. Which is it and why?

You want to dry hop after "primary" fermentation has completed. Dry hopping can be done in either vessel....but if you are transferring to the secondary anyway, it makes sense to do it there from my POV.

If you are not using a secondary, just add the hops when your fermentation is complete (aprox 1 week in many cases or any time after few days with the same gravity reading).

Thank you. I was wondering why my dryhopping had not yielded a wonderful aroma/flavor. I was just dumping it in to the primary after boil.

I dry hop in the primary for 5 days (ferment for full 5 days), then rack to secondary where I also clarify (for at least 7 days, usually 10-14 with gelatin).

I do in primary so I can clarify in the secondary. If I dry hopped in the secondary, I'd have a very hard time clarifying, and would have the hops on the beer for longer than I want.

Brewer3401 said:
I dry hop in the primary for 5 days (ferment for full 5 days), then rack to secondary where I also clarify (for at least 7 days, usually 10-14 with gelatin).

I do in primary so I can clarify in the secondary. If I dry hopped in the secondary, I'd have a very hard time clarifying, and would have the hops on the beer for longer than I want.
Are you getting the results you want?

JohnnyWash1 said:
Are you getting the results you want?

Yes. I over-hop slightly, so it costs a little more, but only 5 days on the wort and the threat of any grassy tones is eliminated. I think you need to go out maybe over 2-3 weeks to get the grassy tones.

Alot of the bigger brewers are dryhopping right before primary fermentation ends
Jamil went into it n one of his podcasts

So it seems the most common thing to do is dry hop after fermentation ceases in the primary?

this is another debate that has no correct answer. I also dry hop in primary, then again in the serving keg if wanted

Back