What if the hops are out???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianTheBrewer

Reaction score
So im trying to put togeather a nice Kolsch recipe and the recipe calls for Saaz and Spalter. I talked earlier with a friend in my home brew club and he said that those hops may not be around our area. Im trying to put togeather a nice hoppy Kolsch. What kind of hops should I try to get if those are out?

Option #1: Sterling

Option #2: Vanguard

The above options are whole/leaf hops from the 2008 harvest...far and away my preference in any brew, and particularly a hoppy brew. Pellet hops are widely available in any number of strains that would be suited to a Kölsch.

So im trying to put togeather a nice Kolsch recipe and the recipe calls for Saaz and Spalter. I talked earlier with a friend in my home brew club and he said that those hops may not be around our area. Im trying to put togeather a nice hoppy Kolsch. What kind of hops should I try to get if those are out?

You could use any German noble hop or genetic derivative. Hallertau, Tettnanger and US Hallertau triploids like Mt. Hood, Liberty and Ultra. The aforementioned Vanguard and Sterling work too.

just checked out hopsdirect and they have us and czech saaz. the czech say limited availabilty - price is $25/lb

Back