tettnang vs saaz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fredthecat

The original homebrewer™.
Reaction score
what is the difference i want to make a lager and i want to know the difference what is the difference between teeetnang and saaz hops beer

It's hard to explain the taste differences, but Pilsner Urquell uses Saaz, while Tettnang is used more for German-style lagers. Sam Adams Boston lager uses Tettnang and Hallertauer.

I believe Rogue Hefeweizen uses Saaz. I think they taste less "earthy" than the German hops, though that's not a great description.

cool, thanks. i always find AA descriptions but sadly ive just never used tettnang before and hardly used saaz and nothing beats first hand taste feelings.

i love beers i know have saaz in them, like pilsner urquell (duh) and i think wernesgruner. im mega excited to get back into some real brewing when i return to north america one day. currently relegated to brewing way inferior products even with some limited north american speciality grain imports

addendum: brewing is life

The Tetnang was another one I thought of using in my APA,but somebody bought all that up too from one week's LHBS visit to the next week's one. So I used US Perle & Czech Saaz. This combo actually turned out to be a good pairing. Smooth spice on the back,with a nondescript citrusy brightness on the back of the malt. Saaz is def one of my new favorites.
It's not just for lager anymore.

to add to the whole thing, Tett and saaz are probably my two favorite hops, and i actually think they blend kind of well together. I did a pale ale once that was bittered with tett, and had a tett flavor addition at 25 and all late additions of saaz hops, and it turned out to be one of the better beers i've made.

Ja, zee Tettnager ist von Tettnang in Deutchland und Sazz ist von sum udder place.

Tettnang is much besser! Ja!

/typical German response to the difference. :D

Back