Can I fix this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
As I was cleaning up after a good brew day (EdWorts Apfelwein and Belgian Wit) I was commenting to my wife how smooth things went this time. That was until I noticed that I forgot to add the Coriander and Orange Peel to the Wit. What I’m wondering is if there is any way to make up for this mistake? They are both late additions to the boil. Would it do any good to throw them in a hop sack for a short (one week) secondary when this is done fermenting?

I'd be inclined to make a little "tea" - boil them in a little water for maybe five minutes, then cool and add when you rack to secondary.

I know a few guys who add their spices to the secondary. Either way, a tea like bird said or just toss in like hops, i think it will turn out.

Cheers

If you dry hop you'll probably only get enough to detect it on the nose...the aroma.

if you make a tea you'll probably have more luck in tasting it as well as the aroma.

I'd be inclined to make a little "tea" - boil them in a little water for maybe five minutes, then cool and add when you rack to secondary.

Thanks, the tea sound like the best idea. Less chance of infection and better utilization. Similar to what I just did with my Java Stout (except cold brewed that.) The recipe called for ¾ oz of both Coriander Seed and Orange Peel. Would you have a recommendation of how much water to use and how much of this extract to add?

It’s looking pretty good after only 18 hours.

BelgainWit at 18hrs.jpg

A pint should be enough, boil for the same amount of time in the recipe.

Just to follow up on this and in case someone can use the information. The original plan was to add the orange peel with 15 minutes to go and the coriander with 5 to go. So the mini boil I did was 15 minutes in a pint of water. In hind sight I should have either used more water or shortened the boil time. With what came out with the grain sacks and what boiled off, there wasn't much fluid left. I'd say, may be 5 or 6 oz. It smelled good while it was cooking. I'm just hoping that it is concentrated enough to do the job.

After a one week stay in the secondary, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back