Can I "save" my Oktoberfest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tincob

Reaction score
I brewed up an AHS Oktoberfest this past weekend and was in the process of cooling it down to 54 deg to pitch two packets of Saflager 34/70 yeast.

Then I tweaked my back and I found out that my fermentation freezer isn't chilling below 68 deg (a craigslist find that seems to have run its course).

So I have a fermentation bucket full of Oktoberfest wort that has not been inoculated.

Due to my back, I will not be able to get a new fermentation freezer for the next week or so until my back recovers and I can get a new one down into the basement (where the current one resides until I can throw it out).

I have on hand four different types of dry yeast:
- Safale US-05
- Safale S-04
- Saflager 34/70
- Danstar Munich

Current basement ambient temperature is about 66 deg. Given my back, I don't want to be lugging water up and down the stairs to set up a swamp cooler.

Just write off the batch? Throw an ale yeast in there and ferment at ambient? Throw the 34/70 in and lager it in two weeks when I can get a fermentation freezer set up?

What's my best course of action? Can I "save" the batch with a hybrid beer? Any recommendation would be appreciated.

I would certainly turn this into an ale. US - 05 works. 1272 Wyeast works well if you wanted to go pick that up too. I made the exact same thing and turned it into an ale (I don't have lagering capabilities yet).

I think if I were in your situation, I'd pitch the US-05 and let it go at ambient basement temps for 3-4 weeks and see what you get. I certainly wouldn't give up on it until it proves itself to be unworthy of drinking.

I also would pitch the US-05 and allow to ferment at the 66F. You should have a great brew in a few weeks....

Whatever yeast you decide on, pitch it SOON... before other critters get working on it.

Back