Not really Beer, but is fermented (Hard Lemonade)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trollby

Reaction score
Working with a guy from another brew site (thanks swenocha) I am looking at making this for my wife who 3 years ago was found to have Celiac.

Ingredients:

1/2# GF Maltodextrin (Boil 5.0 min
1/4# Lactose
Lemonade 4.00 unit, Additive, 4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate
1/3 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) or Corn (dextrose)
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Directions:

- Boil a couple cups of water with the maltodextrine and sugar to dissolve.
- Add water to sanitized fermenter.
- Add frozen concentrate (if not pulp free strain first with sanitized strainer)
- Add Sugar water to fermenter
- Top off to top of 'Q' (Mr. Beer Keg)
- Stir well, pitch yeast wait 5 min, stir-stir-stir
- seal and wait 14-21days

** Makes 2.5 Gallons **

What do you think?

Working with a guy from another brew site (thanks swenocha) I am looking at making this for my wife who 3 years ago was found to have Celiac.

Ingredients:

1/2# GF Maltodextrin (Boil 5.0 min
1/4# Lactose
Lemonade 4.00 unit, Additive, 4 cans frozen Minute Maid lemonade concentrate
1/3 lb Sugar, Table (Sucrose) or Corn (dextrose)
1 Pkg Red Star Champagne Yeast

Directions:

- Boil a couple cups of water with the maltodextrine and sugar to dissolve.
- Add water to sanitized fermenter.
- Add frozen concentrate (if not pulp free strain first with sanitized strainer)
- Add Sugar water to fermenter
- Top off to top of 'Q' (Mr. Beer Keg)
- Stir well, pitch yeast wait 5 min, stir-stir-stir
- seal and wait 14-21days

** Makes 2.5 Gallons **

What do you think?

Well, I think I've seen recipes for hard lemonade, hard cider, and other sorts of 'hard' fruit drinks around.

I'm assuming that someone has done this before and concluded that there's no preservative in the lemonade mix that will kill the yeast? (I know that this can sometimes be a problem when making cider). I wonder how much sugar you are getting out of the lemonade mix.

Also, are you drinking this flat, or bottling-carbing?

The lemonade has Corn Sugar 2.25 lb, according to swenocha who made this but he used non-GF yeast, had left over MR. Beer booster (not GF) and also used Xylitol because his wife is Lactose intolerant.

He said that batch priming with approx 1.5oz sugar gave nice light carb

This has been done before search for Yopper's thread on her hard lemonade or check her profile because the recipe is in her drop down menu. Your recipe looks fine.

The biggest problem you will have is getting your yeast going, since the lemonade is so acidic it can be quite challenging, your best strategy is to rehydrate your yeast in water and then slowly add a small amount (1/4 cup) of your lemonade must to the yeast let it sit and continue slowly adding must for a 24 hour period until you have a strong starter going and then pitch it.

This is how I do it with my hard limeade recipe and got the idea from Yopper's recipe, once you get your yeast going it will take off in that highly sugary wort. Your recipe didn't mention volume or a goal OG or FG but it should finish around 1.000 I'd suspect.

Latest posts

Back