Bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjraleigh42

Reaction score
Getting ready to bottle my first batch. True brew Belgian ale, sat in primary one week and three in secondary. I have 1/2 12 oz bottles and half 22 oz bottles. Do I need change the amount of priming sugar to match the different size bottles? Should I use the full amount of priming sugar given in the kit or try to use a priming calculator? Any help would be appreciated. Cheers.

You're best off adding the proper amount of sugar to your bottling bucket (after boiling in 2 cups of water for 5 minutes then cooling) then racking your beer on top of it. You can very gently stir with a sanitized spoon, though i never do.

5 ounces of corn sugar is the most often thrown about number for a full 5 gallons. A calculator will help you get it true to style.

http://www.clubhomebrew.com/index.php?page=tools&section=sugar

The priming sugar is for the volume of beer, not the number of bottles.

Most say its best to weigh out your priming sugar I rarely do but I mostly measure 2/3 cup of table sugar with no problems at all ... I make mostly PA and IPA between 5.2 and 7.5 ABV

I just realized I got the tasty brew PC mixed up with the one @ brew heads. It's the tasty brew one that I used the BJCP function for min-max prime to style. Thanx for posting the link. Easy to forget with a long scrolling list of beer nerd stuff. :drunk:

Back